No announcement yet.

Apple or Quince?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The leaves have an "apple" feel to them (soft and matt) - not a "pear" feel which I think of as thick, smooth and shiny. I've no idea what an Asian pear leaf feels like

Comment

I'd say 'apple'. They remind me of the cooking variety 'emneth early' (aka Early Victoria) in so far as this year there is a tremendous range of distorted shapes and sizes, plus scab, and a codlin look. However, Emneths go very yellow-skinned once ripe and drop easily, cooking quickly down to a froth. Almost all mine have dropped now, so l doubt yours is this variety.

Comment

How interesting and also puzzling. I'm no help, I was just perusing this thread as I'd love a quince. I was listening to gardeners question time a while ago and this lady on it said, if you ever want a tree buy a quince as you get wonderful flowers. So... my question is, does it have wonderful flowers? If yes, it could be ... i've started to waffle, so i'll stop...
        You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

A few more clues as I've just peeled them all and they're cooking as I write.
          Definitely apple from the taste and could become my favourite apple for flavour. Not too hard/crisp or too acid.
          Very few pips - maybe just one or two in most of them
          Despite their weird appearance, there was very little disease. Two had small areas with small brown spots just under the skin ? bitterpit. and one had ?codling moth damage to the core.
          Will let you know how they cook

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
            Shouldn't Asian pears have non-serrated edges, less prominent veins and a smoother/glossier look to the leaves?
            If you look at the Shinko on this page, they have clear serrated edges...

Trees That Please Nursery: August 2012

Comment

I lurve this "apple" It would have cooked to fluff if I'd let it but stopped it early. Its just crying out for some crumble.............

Time to learn how to graft
              Attached Files

Comment

Just a couple of photos of the Asian Pear at Ryton today...note the serrated leaves. These were awesome today...crisp, juicy and very very tasty.
                Attached Files

Comment

I still think apple. The leaf veins aren't quite the same and the leaf colour and smoothness is different.

Comment

Thanks Zaz I wouldn't describe this apple/quince thingy as juicy - not in the way that a pear is. I've just eaten one now to check!! Its softening up too.............I'm going with apple with a strong perfume

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
                      I still think apple. The leaf veins aren't quite the same and the leaf colour and smoothness is different.
                      I'm sure it is an apple, but I'm positive it isn't a quince. I'm just offering up other suggestions. Still researching other possibilities...

Comment

A few more photos - one apple has just fallen, the other is going waxy, with a typical leaf.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I still think apple.
                          the leaf looks a bit dull and a bit crinkly for pear, with prominent veins and the edge-serrations still seem very like apple. I've also never noticed leaf miner tracks (the brown swirls in the middle of the leaf) on my pears but I get plenty on my apples.
                          The broad, oval leaf makes me suspect triploid.

A picture of the blossom next spring should give a definite answer - in terms of what the flowers look like and when they appear.

Comment

Took some of these apples to be identified today. The suggestion is that its a codlin, maybe Early Emneth aka Victoria or Lord Grosvenor.
                            My homework is to compare the flowers with those of the other codlin (probably Keswick) and to pick some of the fruit when green and store it in the fridge until the next apple day. Hope it fruits next year
                            Another apple he believes to be Royal Russet and there's a more recently planted Ashmead's Kernel . I have some more homework to do on a couple of unnamed trees
                            He commented on the smell when he cut into the apples, a smell that disappeared very quickly, but he couldn't identify it. Also, that apples that should have been redder had minimal red colouration because they were grown in heavy shade. I must try to have some pruning done before next season.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X