X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marie99 View Post
    How did you over winter your fruits in pots this year M x
    Hi Marie,

In the garden there is apple, cherry, blackcurrant, kiwi, raspberry, and blueberry all just sat out there in their pots from last year. The fig is also sat in the pot, but bundled up in fleece, with another fleece bag loosely over the top.

Then there's the medlar, persimmon, elder, jostaberry, dead man's fingers, filbert, barberry, and checkerberry that I got this year all just sat outside in pots. The dwarf pomegranate I got this year needs keeping inside for a couple of years, so I put that in the lounge window. Unfortunately it's come out of dormancy, so I've transferred it to the north facing kitchen window. That won't go outside till after last frosts.

Wonderberry, Golden Pearls, Inca Berry, and the five varieties of strawberries are all still in seed form - some in the fridge, and some in propagators on my windowsills. I did grow inca berries inside last year and they were very leggy, but I am sowing afresh this year and trying one or two out in the garden.

I've decided against growing Passion Fruit, and will be getting rid of the Kiwi (both due to limited sun where they need to live). Once I get my windowsills back, I am considering growing a mini orange, mini lemon, and mini lime (or maybe just two of the three) in my lounge window as house plants

Comment

Thanks AllInContainers Mx

Comment

Slight update ... the Kiwi and Passion Fruit are going, but another 6 blueberry bushes are coming to join the Bluecrop variety I already have. The additions will be Spartan, Gold Traub, Dixi, and 3 Pink Lemonade bushes. I have yet to figure out where they'll fit though ...... especially since I just ordered a dollop of Jerusalem Artichokes too

Comment

The two mega-invasive thugs I grow ( not in containers, though ) are kiwis and Jerusalem artichokes. Between them they have taken over about 400sq ft of space, and no amount of digging up or cutting back will keep them in control. In fact, they've now met, and the kiwis are climbing up the JA stalks . . saves time cutting them down, though.

Comment

That's bigger than my entire back yard How long have they been on the rampage?

I'll have my JA's contained and reckon I should get 3 or 4 plants in, which is a good number for me. Fills a corner with prettiness, doesn't need anything from me in respect of time, and gives me food at the end of the year as ground rent Keeping horticultural thugs in check is one of the many good things I find about growing in pots

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X