No announcement yet.

some thing on my apple tree

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rita, I believe you bought a cherry tree from the same retailer. Has that one blossomed - just wondering if that one is actually an apple

Comment

i am gutted if it's another cherry tree i have one next to it, can you tell what the other side is, as they have said it is golden delicious and Elstar, so if one side is cherry what is the other side.
      i will send a photo to them and see what they say, i really do want an apple tree.
      thank you all for your help.
      so do you think this is canker on the tree. if so should i pull the tree up....
      Rita

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Rita, I believe you bought a cherry tree from the same retailer. Has that one blossomed - just wondering if that one is actually an apple

no i didn't get any flowers on it. but it looks healthy enough.
        Rita

Comment

Can you put up a photo of its leaves?

Comment

Link to RHS diagnosis/advice on cherry canker:
            Bacterial canker / Royal Horticultural Society

A google search will bring up lots of pictures of what it looks like.

It's worth bearing in mind that - usually - when a young fruit tree of any kind develops canker on a stem or branch which grew before the tree was sent to you, the infection was probably one which entered a bud, leaf scar or wound in the nursery and carried the latent disease with it, with the disease then breaking-out at a later time - especially if spraying of protective chemicals stops (most of us don't spray our trees once they're planted).

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Can you put up a photo of its leaves?
              I'm wondering whether the work experience kid was sent out late on a Friday afternoon with two labels; he indeed went and got the apple and the cherry as requested, but forgot which was which and put the labels on the wrong way round.

It's quite common for nurseries to only label-up stock at the time it is being prepared for packing because labels fall off, blow off or weather away in the nursery, and most nurseries keep their trees arranged in a logical alphabet order so they know where to find each type of tree.

Comment

My thoughts too

Comment

should i pull it up and burn it, i have a cherry tree next to it, i don't want it to catch the same problem.
                  Rita

Comment

Originally posted by rita1 View Post
                    should i pull it up and burn it, i have a cherry tree next to it, i don't want it to catch the same problem.
                    What to do depends on whether it has canker Seeing more pictures of the ooze from different angles might help to see whether the ooze is from a wound or a canker.
                    If the bigger tree is a different variety the canker may not easily pass from one to the other because nowadays many diseases have evolved to attack just one variety (ideal for preying on vast orchard blocks of the same variety).

Cherry canker is widespread throught the UK. Your big tree could pick up canker at any time - or it might be resistant.

In fact, if the big tree is next to the little tree, maybe the blob of sap/ooze dripped or was wind-blown onto the little tree from the big tree. Most big old cherry trees have canker and manage to live with it for many years because of the natural high vigour of cherries.

So before destroying your new tree, firstly confirm whether it's really canker, or whether it's just a wound on the bark that's bleeding, or whether it's dripped from the big tree. Then decide what to do depending on how bad the underlying wound looks.

Comment

thank you all for your help, i have been in touch with garden bargains and they are putting me on a back order to have a replacement dual apple tree which i won't get now until September.
                      they said that i have fire blight on my tree, but i have looked it up and it does not look like that.
                      anyway they are going to give me another so hopefully this will be the right one.
                      Rita

Comment

Originally posted by rita1 View Post
                        they said that i have fire blight on my tree
                        Fireblight does not attack stone fruits - and the picture you provided is a stone fruit; cherry.

RHS page on fireblight:

Fireblight / Royal Horticultural Society

Comment

i know i looked it up and it attacks pear and apple trees, he is convinced it is a apple tree that i have, i don't know what photo's he was looking at but the leaves are similar to my other cherry. they are going to send me another one in September and i don't think i will be using them again.
                          Rita

Comment

I'm sorry to say that Garden Bargains are living up their reputation again. You are missing an apple tree from your order, if your other tree is a cherry so, for whatever reason they should send you one.

Comment

Time really gallops away with you with fruit trees, doesn't it? If I were you, Rita I'd ask for my money back plus compensation for the six months you'll be without your tree and the bad one they sent you before and use the money to go to a good nursery and buy a high quality tree to come next autumn from a really good nursery.

Its a waste of hope, money and time using these cheap companies for a long-lived plant like a fruit tree, in my opinion, and the skilled, careful UK nurseries need our support. I'm sure they're being really damaged by the cheap imported trees, not only by the loss of sales but also the loss of interest in growing fruit when it all goes awry.

Comment

Besides, certainly in the case of the nursery close to me, you can choose the varieties and rootstocks and such. You don't have to be stuck with the forced choice options you're given on a website.
                                Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X