"Helpful" neighbours

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FB. View Post
    Hmmm...we could match-up the tool marks too.

Hmmm..........
    Maybe you need the help of Miss Marple aka Nicos, for this one FB

Comment

Could they have taken the prunings to graft onto a John Downie? Keep your eyes peeled for alien flowers and fruit appearing on neighbouring trees

Comment

Any footprints at the scene FB?

I started pruning a neighbours tree a couple of weeks ago and got stopped mid cut. I hasten to add it wasn't a fruit tree and it was over hanging my garden at the time. My odd neighbours asked me kindly not to, as the branches had been bent by the snow we'd had, and her husband was going to tie them back up. (The tree in question is a fir tree, can't be more specific. its too big is all that matters!!)

I'll give them a month or so's grace, and if they haven't I'll go out and trim back the overhanging branches which are struggling to support their own weight. Am I being unreasonable?

I think you have to ask the question FB, and the sooner the better. Its not nice confronting neighbours, but a simple did you see who pruned my apple tree? is a fair open ended starter for 10!!
        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Unless you speak to them then you'll never know if and why they did it and potentially will end up brooding on it incorrectly. Go round and ask them if they saw anything, it's always best to know the actual story rather than what you think to be the story. You read of misunderstandings causing rifts for decades and whilst it won't repair your tree it may help.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
            I'll give them a month or so's grace, and if they haven't I'll go out and trim back the overhanging branches which are struggling to support their own weight. Am I being unreasonable?
            You're not being unreasonable. What you've done is a good idea.

Within the law, you are allowed to remove anything overhanging the boundary whenever you wish and without warning (although it is always nice to speak in advance).

But if you prune something overhanging a boundary you must offer the prunings to the owner of the tree before disposing of them (this is to prevent you stealing firewood or fruit!).

If a tree is evergreen, it counts as a hedge, and there are legally-enforcible rules on how large hedges may be. The rule depends on which of your boundaries it is on (North/East/South/West), how far from the boundary, and how much of the boundary has the "hedge" or evergreen tree(s) along it.

Comment

Just call the police. Emphasise that it was a very valuable/irreplaceable tree, and let them ask the questions for you. No chance of losing your temper and getting into trouble or potentially accusing the wrong person. Don't mention the neighbour to the police until they come out, or they'll try to call it 'a dispute between neighbours' and won't do owt..

Comment

That's terrible to hear, but there is no point leaving your mind to stew (or wander) by letting the fact of who chopped your tree remain unknown. I suggest you go round to your neighbours, with a pre-thought sentence (just in case it WAS them, and will help stop you pruning them!) Let them know it was an incredibly rare variety, for which no replacement is possible, they have severely damaged the tree, for unknown and unjust reason , not even on their property.

That way you can at least get some answers and soon, you don't want to be harbourimg (potentially unwarrarented resentment). If however they admit to it, feel free to prune the 4 wheels from any car they may have :-)
                Last edited by DuncanM; 05-03-2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Any resolution yet FB?
                  Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                  By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                  While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                  At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                    Any resolution yet FB?
                    I spoke to the (suspected) neighbour but they said they don't know anything about it.

Comment

Do you believe them?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Neighbours, who'd have em!
                        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Do you believe them?
                          I think the odds and their behaviour since (avoiding me) favour them being guilty and not confessing, but there's a chance they might be completely innocent.
                          I didn't make any accusations when I spoke to them - I just explained the situation and asked if they knew anything about it.

Comment

Not a very satisfactory result for you. Do you have any other neighbours you could ask who might have seen something? Opposite for example? Trouble is time is ticking on now and perhaps they won't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                              Not a very satisfactory result for you. Do you have any other neighbours you could ask who might have seen something? Opposite for example? Trouble is time is ticking on now and perhaps they won't remember.
                              We don't have many neighbours, and those we have will not be in a position to see. I'm pretty sure it's either one specific neighbour or their kids. But I spoke to them and they said they didn't know anything about it, nor their kids.
                              Not much else I can do, but they are aware of the inconvenience.
                              In the past, they have claimed to be tree-lovers, so maybe it was one of their kids, or they tidied-up after one of their kids damaged it?

Comment

I guess that's probably as far as you're going to get. Such a shame.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X