No announcement yet.

Peach tree options

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its about 7 feet tall - too tall for the GH! My mind is made up - its going in a hole somewhere. If it flowers, that'll be nice. If it fruits it'll be a miracle

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Its about 7 feet tall - too tall for the GH! My mind is made up - its going in a hole somewhere. If it flowers, that'll be nice. If it fruits it'll be a miracle
      Treat it like a flowering cherry in bad years I guess.

Comment

I woke up knowing where to plant it - and I have
        Its a space between the GH and my neighbours' garden wall, its sheltered and I can rig up a "roof" over it suspended from the wall if necessary! Should also be able to train it horizontally

AND, I found this - is it an omen?
        Happy Days
        Attached Files

Comment

Not sure how old your "Peach" tree is but mine is the same size as this one.

2 year old Peach Tree
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks BM. Interesting video. I've no idea how old mine is but it has a lot of thin twiggy stuff on it that I need to remove when its settled in. I can't remember when you prune peaches so I need to do a bit of swotting up. Just relieved its in the ground.
            Tomorrow its the turn of the greengage and the wineberries

Comment

I found the wineberry to be quite hmm furry as opposed to prickly which was a bonus.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Prune after your last frost date:

The Best Time to Prune Peach Trees

Comment

Yes, they're not as bad as they look. The old one in the garden has very white stems - hardly any trace of fur. Maybe their bristles soften with age

Comment

Just in case you need this for next year........

The Best Time to Prune an Apricot Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      Prune after your last frost date:

The Best Time to Prune Peach Trees
                      That'll be June

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        That'll be June
                        Yes. Fresh from today’s course on pruning…. We didn’t prune any STONE FRUIT TREES (peach, plum, apricot, cherry) at this stage (Feb) because evidently that is best done in early Summer (June or even July) when the tree is active. When active the sap contains a gum that restricts the entry of silver leaf spores that are produced in the winter (and silver leaf can kill the tree if it gets established). Incidentally, another tip our teachers were keen on with all pruning was to spray and wipe clean tools (secateurs, pruners, saws etc) with a fungicide (e.g. an eco one or Dettol spray) when going from one tree to another or from removing dead/diseased parts to pruning healthy wood…. Makes good sense…!

Comment

Thanks Bazza. Gives me plenty of time to work out a plan of attack

Comment

Dont be afraid to shorten it ,i did so i could train the branches,i cut a third off each and then they sent out plenty of side shoots lower down,as FB says dont crop for the first two years as you train the branches,then its a case of somewhere not too wet,a bit of sunshine,and enjoy the fruit,as said,last year ,cold dark and wet,but in the g/house it really produced(still trying to figure that one out,it may be that they can be tougher than we think),so give it a go,trim it if needed,it will grow again,even if you get it wrong the first time...good luck...

Comment

Thanks Buffs, it's in and I have time to ponder on pruning. Hope I don't forget its there

Comment

with its lovely blossom,i dont think you will miss them,best £4 i have spent in a good while....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X