Kiwi for north facing garden - kept me awake all night

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiwi for north facing garden - kept me awake all night

Thanks to one post in here and then another link from there anyway found out about hardy kiwi but not usual arguta, instead it is Actinidia Kolmikta which needs north side of the garden as it likes shade and ropes in mid summer so our lousy summers should be still fine for it and extremely hardy to -40c, no desieses the only pest is cats they love chew young plant.

I was so thrilled about it saw several youtube videos about it from Ukraine (I can understand russian) it grows and ripens there just fine and quite popular apparently althought I never heard of it before myself.

Suttons sells them for £17.99
    Agroforestry sold out.

Has anyone heard of them or had any experience seems like a perfect plant for the a shady garden?
    This is becoming an obsession, I am desperate to grow it now.

I have heard of it - it is a really attractive plant. However, I haven't grown one, and none of my Customers has one. Yet! Let us know how you get on, as I've always wanted one.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Its a very attractive plant - saw it in a friend's garden where it was grown for its leaves, not for fruit.
      There are stockists listed here Suppliers / RHS Gardening

Comment

Haven't heard of it, but have seen how vigourous kiwis can be! Can your brickwork take it?

Comment

A kiwi that keeps you awake all night. The mind boggles
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

My kiwi keeps me awake at night by tapping on the bedroom window. It won't be doing that this year

Comment

I could not sleep watched youtube video after video about them, I hope they are worth it. Just took a plunge and ordered from suttons. Will post some pics once get them. According to lubera they are not very vigorouse so can be planted on the obelisk next to each other.

Comment

Has anyone had good success with kiwi issai?

Comment

I planted it about three years ago and its just taken off this year, half a dozen ten ft. shoots. Just a few fruits so far but I'd expect to have more in 2013 if the weather allows. I do have 3 insanely rampant 'normal ' kiwis on the pergola over a parallel path that have been going for twelve years with flowers but no fruit, labelled as two females, one male but could be all useless chaps. Or it could be that we give up on keeping it pruned properly, on account of not having a day a week to devote to it.

Comment

Actinidia kolomikta is diodiceous, so you need a male plant as well. There is one autofertile cultivar, Dr Szymanowski.
                    The berries are smaller then A. arguta, the reason why I'm not growing them.

Comment

Does kiwi issai has enough time to ripen in our summer or not?
                      Have got kiwi Jenny it fruits but never has enough time to ripe location east London.

Comment

Issai does ripen end of september - early october.
                        You can ripen your kiwi Jenny fruit by leaving it as long as possible on the vine and putting it in plastic bags with ripe apples afterwards

Comment

Thanks for The info, will try that.

Comment

Told this to my father in law it's his kiwi, he said that they do not even form fully in our summer so seems not much chance for kiwi Jenny in England.

Comment

Kiwi Jenny fruits in Wales though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X