No announcement yet.

Climbing Strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just treated myself to the climbing Strawberries, raspberries and a Tomcot
    Now to think about where to plant it

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      They could be left to dangle rather than supported. That might give the slugs/snails a run for their money!
      Yes, I'd be tempted to plant them in a window box from the second floor and let them hang. It sounds like a fascinating variety.

Comment

A quick update. My Mount Everests are in their second year and they are looking wonderful.

Great big, healthy plants, they have been flowering as long as my Honeyoes this year and have a really good crop of fruit plumping up. I think the runners will come after this first flush. I am interested to see how they taste this year. They were ok last year but not fantastic. I didn't put much store by the way anything that needed sun tasted last year, though.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by marchogaeth; 06-05-2013, 10:08 AM.
        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

They do look good! Hope mine get their roots down this year

Comment

I think, if you have only just bought them, unless they are already huge, it's going to take a year. There really is no comparison between this year and last year with mine. The good news is they cropped really well last year and are still this big. In addition they are making extra crowns now so I will be able to split them in the autumn. The "plants" on the runners didn't come to anything.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

thought i best bump this one,see how yours are all doing,out of 10 plants,plus another 5 after complaining,i ended up with 3 plants,2 have flowers and strawbs,and 1 is just a mass of leaves,no sign of it fruiting,have cut of its runners,still nothing,they were all treated the same,the 2 nice plants,look to be growing up from the centre,and have some lovely runners,seems like after they have fruited,they go up and send out more fruit,i have never had the pleasure of them before,so i watch with interest,the pics that are displayed of them,give the impression,it fruits are all at once only 1 mtr aprox high,or trail,not friut,grow a bit,then fruit again,soooo,am a wondering if they going to give more fruit over a longer time,than the plants we know,
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

From memory, I have 4 plants and there's a strawberry almost ready to pick I've just brought them into the greenhouse, away from the thieving birds and squirrels. Will have a proper look tomorrow

Comment

Well I've had the first flush from my two year old plants, we ate lots adding them to the Honeyo ones. Most were really tasty but then there was the odd one that was a bit none descript.

Mine haven't produced a lot of runners yet but a secong lot of flowers in coming in the top plant.

(Hope I've misunderstood you but...)Lottie if you cut the runners off they can't fruit on them which is what they do. Last year I got about half of the total yield from the runners.

PS really hungry the other day and bought £2 worth from the T shop for a snack. They were cold and wet, refreshing on a hot day but totally tasteless.
                  Last edited by marchogaeth; 07-07-2013, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X