Apple Tree Dilemma.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FB. View Post
    Perhaps I should decapitate the NB/116 during the winter and attempt to turn it into a M116 "stool" bed for propagation of more M116 rootstock.
    Then plant a Grav where I had intended.
    Now that sounds like a good plan! Maybe the NB prunings could be grafted onto some other rootstocks for someone else?

Comment

Isn't Norfolk Beefing one of those tough apples that was baked for hours in their skin, flattened and sold as Biffins by Victorian street sellers? Is it good as well as heirloom?

Comment

Originally posted by yummersetter View Post
        Isn't Norfolk Beefing one of those tough apples that was baked for hours in their skin, flattened and sold as Biffins by Victorian street sellers? Is it good as well as heirloom?
        Yes, I think it's a good variety. I would probably choose something else down your way, though as I don't think the climate is what Norfolk Beefing would really excel in; too wet and not enough autumn sun.

The fruit can be used for all kinds of things - biffins, baking, cooking, cider, drying - and if left until the following spring it often sweetens enough and softens enough to be a reasonable eater.

I think it prefers the East Anglian climate; a regional curiosity like D'Arcy Spice.
        I think - like D'Arcy Spice - it likes long, mild, dry, sunny autumns (an East Anglian climate phenomenon). I also think it prefers warm, light soils (assuming that it's on a rootstock that can also cope with such soil).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X