No announcement yet.

Who gives a Fig?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the reminder. Just nipped out and picked these - and no sign of wasps!
    The other photo shows my 2 fig trees grown from cuttings. Apologies for the overexposure but the sun is out and the camera has forgotten how to cope with sunlight!
    Attached Files

Comment

The article does mention this anyway:

A few points worth remembering about the wasp content:

1. When a female wasp dies inside an edible fig, an enzyme in the fig

called ficin breaks down her carcass into protein. The fig basically digests the dead insect, making it a part of the resulting ripened fruit. The crunchy bits in figs are seeds, not anatomical parts of a wasp.
      Sounds almost venus fly trap like

Veggie,

Those figs do look delicious, but as an experiment, let one or two go that bit further until stretch marks appear and see what you think?

Comment

Just for you Duncan, some more photos of my figs! Are these Stretch marks? I have to ask as I don't have any
        Of the three in the first photo the one on the left is less ripe than the other two.
        Attached Files

Comment

i dont think any of those wasps have got up here as for the last 6/7 years we have never seen them or any indications on the fruit,is it a case of ignorance is bliss? not really bothered,ate worse when in services,and we survived that,at least i did,i think,this may be all a dream,must go now,chatting to mae west and al capone,if i am having dreams ,make em good ones.........

Comment

hey VC,

They don't look like the stretch marks I was referring too, but then again I've seen it on figs that don't go brown, so maybe it's only specific to the variety? I'll upload some pics if the 2nd harvest manage to ripen off in a month or so.

They do look delicious though!

Comment

They were delicious, Duncan. Melt in the mouth figs - yummy!
              Look forward to seeing photos of "your" stretch marks

Comment

I bought Mr Z one of these last week

Ficus carica 'Ice Crystal' | Bunkers Hill Garden Shop

Comment

That looks good, Zaz. Most unusual leaf. Lucky Mr Z

Comment

I inherited a fig tree from my sister last year. She had grown it in a pot and never had any fruit. I planted it at the allotment lining the planting hole with weed suppressant to restrict the roots. It got totally waterlogged (sitting in puddles), and I thought that would do it in, but I have loads of figs (considering it is only 3 ft tall). I don't think they are ripe yet though, it's a brown turkey I think, but she hadn't got the tag anymore.
                    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just been out and had a look at my figs and seen something that I haven't really noticed before. Figs seem to swell enormously when they are completely ripe (brown, not green) I'd say by about 30%. Just thought I'd mention it
                      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I've eaten all mine - just the small green ones left. I think I'm supposed to remove the larger ones and leave the little ones for next year Answers please

Comment

Pass!
                          I ate all mine last year
                          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            I've eaten all mine - just the small green ones left. I think I'm supposed to remove the larger ones and leave the little ones for next year Answers please
                            I believe the only fruit that you will leave on the tree are the tiny, as in smaller than a very small pea tiny, figs. They are the fruit that if you are lucky and they make it through the winter will give you figs early summer next year

My fig tree had loads of baby figs at the end of the season last year and I was looking forward to a bumper crop this year, unfortunately a late frost in early May killed them all off, as I had taken off the protective fleece :-( I currently have 1 fig that is ripening up nicely and I am hoping the rest ripen up quickly before the frosts get 'em!

Comment

OOh loving all this figgy talk! Think may have to buy a fig tree now...
                              You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
                                OOh loving all this figgy talk! Think may have to buy a fig tree now...
                                There was a free fig on offer with the magazine a couple of months ago. I think its this one
                                Illustrated Offer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X