No announcement yet.

Strawberries in pipes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wait until you get to my age.........

PS Try Control & + to enlarge it
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 08-08-2012, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      PS Try Control & + to enlarge it
      I always wondered what the secret was............
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

.......I only found out recently too..........Its amazing what you learn on here

Comment

Thanks. Yeah it's a pain trying to scrounge materials that are only red
          I made the ends out of disks cut from plastic milk jugs. And then laced some old washing line through drilled holes to keep them from falling out. They're a snug fit but there are some little gaps so I'll hang them at a very slight angle and that should give a little drainage. Plus I drilled small holes along the undersides of the pipes. A bit worried that the depth of soil isn't enough but hopefully the roots will just travel along the pipe. Bound to get 1 years crop from them. With good feeding 2 would be great!
          Last edited by redser; 08-08-2012, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
            Thanks. Yeah it's a pain trying to scrounge materials that are only red
            I made the ends out of disks cut from plastic milk jugs. And then laced some old washing line through drilled holes to keep them from falling out. They're a snug fit but there are some little gaps so I'll hang them at a very slight angle and that should give a little drainage. Plus I drilled small holes along the undersides of the pipes. A bit worried that the depth of soil isn't enough but hopefully the roots will just travel along the pipe. Bound to get 1 years crop from them. With good feeding 2 would be great!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained Red........
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thought I'd update this nearly a year later. It's been a great success! I'm well chuffed. These are June bearers (Elsanta) and they are ahead of all my other outdoor ones. I think they are ahead because of the root restriction. Also the soil/compost dried out a couple of times so I think they got stressed. But bounced back all the same with watering and feeding. This is just the first picking The old photos are on the previous pages.
              Thanks

Attached Files

Comment

Dirty fly!!!!

Comment

They look fantastic, redser!! I do like to see results from experiments
                  Just wondering whether you could suspend the pipes so that they don't take up floor space
                  Funnily enough, I was thinking about those upright strawberry planters the other day - with the watering tube in the middle. It might be better to put a spiral of leaky pipe in the barrel so that the water flowed through the soil at all levels. Hope that make sense

Comment

Yes is does, thats a good idea, I'd say it would work much better.
                    I wanted to suspend the pipes at first but it was getting complicated. So I just raised them up on blocks in a line and put them at the base of the poytunnel. So that was dead space put to good use anyway

Comment

Suspend them by threading a wire/rope through the pipe across the top running under the cutout bits ?

Comment

Do you mean something like this :-

How To Make A Hanging Gutter Garden
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thing was, once you do that, when you water the excess would run out the drainage holes and land on the plants beneath. Plus I would have had to make a frame fr them to hang from. So I hummed and hawed and made some drawings and in the end just tried it this way. Much simpler and works perfectly well

Comment

Has anybody tried using pallet on an angle to grow veg? Saw article in Kitchen Gardener today looks great idea..can't wait to se what Veggie has to say.

Comment

I haven't but I'm sure others here have Soon, I shall be showing you my freestanding pallet planter - made specifically for strawberries - but its still in the design stages

Comment

Some friends have split some pipe lengthwise and hung it up in their polytunnel horizontally, like guttering. They grow strawberries in there to keep the slugs off. Works a treat!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X