Identifying Sloes at this time of year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
    .....Any cut you get from Black Thorn (sloe bush) is likely to be infected.
    what's the reasoning behind this? (seriously interested). Like Alison, I get scratched every year, even with gloves on
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

whatever the reason, it's good that there's some sensible advice for foragers!
      http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Found this article http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/c...3/474.full.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          I haven't seen any green sloes yet and I know where there are lots of sloe bushes that had plenty of blossom this year.
          Madam, we appear to have a date

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
            Madam, we appear to have a date
            You only want me for my sloes

Comment

Interesting read but not something I've ever heard of although it does seem they were quite worried about it in the West Midlands in the mid 60s

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                Interesting read but not something I've ever heard of although it does seem they were quite worried about it in the West Midlands in the mid 60s
                My source was the local on call GP after I had a close call with a black thorn thorn. She said they get several cases each year, some more serious than others. She said sometimes the reaction is just red and itchy but other times it can be much worse even causing hospitalisation. I have no reason to doubt what she said; thinking about it afterwards I can see that I always have some reaction to a blackthorn scratch even if it is only redness and itching. My own "worse" red line went from the knuckle on my index finger up my arm for about 8-10 inches before it was stopped - hence my conversation.

I realise my post might look a bit heavy (bigged up) and I appologise if that's the case. I just thought the "slightly less initiated should be warned" and should maybe not have trie dto do it in quite such a hurry as I did.

Edit:- Also wanted to say I struggled to find the correct word for "infected".
                Last edited by marchogaeth; 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM.
                "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Well My best one was a thorn strait through the flip flop after hacking back the blackthorn in France....hurt a lot.....I said 'Bother'..... quite loudly and was hobbling (with little perceptible family sympathy) for a couple of days.

I have to say that I too get fairly scratched up at sloe picking time They do tend to be nasty.... like rose thorns and I agree you should definitely seek help if redness spreads....but let's be a bit optimistic here...you'll probably be okay and not need an amputation!

Comment

So the choice seems to be: amputation or sloe gin

I'll take the gin

(being flippant: take sensible precautions, ie always wash your hands after gardening /before eating)
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                      I realise my post might look a bit heavy (bigged up) and I appologise if that's the case. I just thought the "slightly less initiated should be warned" and should maybe not have trie dto do it in quite such a hurry as I did.
                      No worries, I was just surprised that there was a particular risk as I'd never heard of it - but to be honest I don't know why I'm every surprised seeing as there are so many things that I've not heard of

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Phew! Well I logged on this morning thinking I should just delete the original post since the last thing I wanted was a) a protracted exchange of words or b) to have really put up the wrong info.

So thanks for the last three posts. Yes, perspective and I'll be a bit more circumspect about posting "scary stuff" when tired and in a hurry!

Bramble whisky for me! (I do still pick sloes but am really vigilant about any scratches).
                        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

You only want me for my sloes
                          That's not true in the slightest! I value our friendship....

and your apples, pears, plums, leeks, big garden and baby sitting!

Comment

Oh man. Why did I have to read the PDF link above whilst eating? Lovely picture of the tendon

Comment

That's not true in the slightest! I value our friendship....

and your apples, pears, plums, leeks, big garden and baby sitting!
                              And I your sneakiness

Comment

Oh man. Why did I have to read the PDF link above whilst eating? Lovely picture of the tendon
                                Serve you right - was it Shredded wheat?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X