No announcement yet.

Have you had much pollination?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 3 ballerina apple trees (at present ) 2 are 3 years old (I've had them for 2) and despite flowering during the terrible weather we had, and I noticed a complete lack of any bees during the majority of the flowering period I was very surprised to see at the weekend the fact the 3year olds are rammed full of baby apples. As soon as the weather improved I noticed a flurry of bee activity but a lot of flowers had already died - maybe I just missed a brief window when the weather was nice enough for bees to come out and pollinate these early flowers.

The 3rd apple tree is only 2 years old and I only received it a month or two ago (suttons lucky dip) and despite the top 10cm leafing up the rest of the tree isn't so I don't expect it to fruit until next year at the earliest.

I have 8 blueberry bushes, all different varieties, all 1-2 years old (purchased from online/garden centres this year) all but 3 have blueberries set and now slowly forming although very little given the plants size.

My 4 Blackcurrant bushes were looking very strong and blackcurrants have set on them all, except an infestation of green and white fly has taken their toll, I'm sure I'll still get a semi-decent return from 2 year old plants.

3 year old hazlenut trees/bushes have nothing on them, not sure when to expect fruit on these - but I didn't notice them flower either I reckon a year or two at the earliest (if I don't dig them out by then).

4x1 year old goji plants, all looking very weak and neglected so potted up this evening in fresh compost, again not expecting any fruit/flowers for 2-3 years.

Strawberries and framberries, seemed slow to start but are doing well now. Some strawb plants struggled in the sun/heat so I was lucky to bring 3 back from the dead after a week without watering (and looking extremely sorry for themselves).

That's it (fruit-wise) and for this year

Comment

Originally posted by binley100 View Post
      Don't think i'll be having a fully laden plum tree this year ......hardly any blossom.
      Plums often go biennial.
      Next year, try thinning some of the blossom buds before the flowers open. I reckon that if the flowers are thinned before they have been pollinated, that it reduces bienniel tendency.

It is my belief that each fertilised flower sends a hormonal signal if it gets pollinated. If too much of this hormone is produced, the tree will not produce flower buds that season because it "knows" that this year's crop will be so heavy that it won't have enough energy to raise another crop the following year.

But if the flowers are not pollinated, or if they are removed before they open, then they can't send a hormonal signal to the tree - and therefore the tree produces flower buds for the following season.
      All it requires is some blossom bud thinning in the "on" years. You do not have to sacrifice the whole crop; just make sure that enough buds are removed to allow the tree not to exhaust itself.
      I'd suggest one-in-three blossom buds removing in the "on" year and then adjust the amount in subsequent years in order to find the best balance between a moderate crop every year, or a heavy crop only in every second year.
      Last edited by FB.; 28-05-2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

One thing I just thought of......

I don't think my hazels have many nuts forming.

But we had a very peculiar winter - damp and mild until January and then bitterly cold with snow in February, followed by dull and damp until the last week.
        I suspect that the damp January washed away all the airborne polen grains of the hazels, preventing pollination.

If the hazels have a poor crop, I might coppice them as they're several years or more since planting (supposed to coppice every seventh year). They are also getting a bit too vigorous, so I may coppice (or at least hard-prune) them during the summer and perhaps it'll encourage some flower buds form for next year.

Comment

Always have lots of bees, but think its a little early yet to tell...

Comment

We now have a few (less than 10) fruits forming on the Bramley and Lord Lambourne but none at all on the Cox. all 3 trees have been in for 3 years now.

Plum doing well, but it always does even though its so ancient we have it propped up.
            If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Likes people who prop up ancient trees

Comment

Well, I've seen two apples. That's it. :/

Comment

I have lots of fruit on my Braeburn apple but the plums are looking sick yet again, loganberries are going crazy though
                  "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

While I was (trying) to dig up potatoes today, the plum tree kept waving in my face and looking up saw a line of marble sized green plums sprouting, for want of a better word lol
                    so there's hope yet for fruit tree growers still waiting for 'proof' - may just be a little later this year?...

Comment

Whilst I was weeding under the fruit trees yesterday I had the chance to have a good look. All were covered in blossom earlier in Spring and I was very hopeful as the weather seemed to give the blossom a chance to set. The apple trees are fine - all have fruit set on them. There are a few damsons, but the greengage - I think I counted 6 fruit on my smallest oldest tree. And very few on the other 2 trees. Oh noooooo - no greengage jam this year. On the plus side -the strawberries are setting fruit left right and centre! Lots of rhubarb and strawberry then. Not my favourite though.

Comment

only one or 2 pollinated pears on my conference tree, It was covered in blossom as well, ah well I guess it wont do it any harm, it will give it chance to better establish itself, Its only been in since last spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X