Sweetest Strawberries found

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have the bum Jax?

Fruit&VegVirgin - I've heard that Cambridge Favourite are supposed to be a very good variety, but evenif not, rest assured I personally think anything homegrown tastes better than supermarket soft fruit.

I don't knock supermarkets too much as they are extremely handy and I couldn't live without our local even for fruit and veg at the moment, but As Jax said, they are selected not for taste but appearance on the shelf. After doing pick your own last year, I can't face buying strawbs and raspberries from shops or markets any more as it just not the same..
    Last edited by Shortie; 12-04-2006, 11:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

VERM tasteless cardboard? do you mean worm or warm Jax, and if so how do you know?? bought another 2 strawbs today, cant remember what kind but will bung em in anyway...

Comment

It was warm. I used to love watching Allo Allo and the policeman/British spy was my favourite character.
        Jax

Comment

I didn't appreciate how clever that guy was in Allo Allo until I watched a rerun the other week! I think I have bought the 'verm tastliss cardbod' variety! I hope I'm not too disappointed!
          How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

I planted six 'Alice' strawberry plants this week, anyone know what they are like? I don't have a clue what to expect. Have to admit, I grew a few Elsanta and some Mae last year, the Elsanta were (dare I say it) quite nice but the Mae died very quickly so I never got to taste them. That was my first ever experience of growing strwbs and I just used what was easily available.

Comment

Expect red fruit Becky

I bought some Mae, Alice & another one that I can't remember. I think it's Alice thayt I've got & they taste OK to me, but you'd best ask my Cocker spaniel as shee eats all the blo**y Strawbs in this house before we can get to them !!!

Butter or rather Strawberries wouldn't melt .....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Meg-800.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	2317786
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Gariguette strawberries - mmm well...not too impressed at the moment, as when they arrived 2 of the 10 were dead and yesterday I had to throw out 3 plants which had rotted!! so only got 5 of the 10 left. Have taken a photo and will write to the suppliers next week. Will keep you posted!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

strawberries

for the last couple of years i grown an alpine variety very tasty but very small (they tasted like strawberry hubba bubba :-) )
                  this year ive gone for boleros since the missus is forever buying watery supermarket varietys for 2 quid a pack. However i have come to the conclusion that ok yes they do taste better grown at home by miles but the reason they never taste the same as when you where a kid is that as you get older your palette changes, you can see this as kids still love em home grown or shop bought... i want to be 5 again

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos
                    Gariguette strawberries - mmm well...not too impressed at the moment, as when they arrived 2 of the 10 were dead and yesterday I had to throw out 3 plants which had rotted!! so only got 5 of the 10 left. Have taken a photo and will write to the suppliers next week. Will keep you posted!
                    Nicos that’s a great shame. I ordered plants from Ken Muir and they all arrived OK. They went into nursery pots to get them started in the greenhouse and then a few weeks ago I planted them all out. So far no losses. I hope you get replacements real soon.
                    Jax

Comment

I was in our local garden centre earlier today & took another look at the Elsanta strawbs ( as I have already planted some ) I was very suprised to see that that they had put "a long shelf life" on the description yet very little about it's taste! Hmmm ?!
                      How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X