Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild gooseberry

Hello all,

Just wondering what people know about wild gooseberries? I found one in the woods next to the house. I know digging things like this up is a big no-no, but the landlord said okay and the woods are being cleared of overgrown scrub and brush so we both thought it would likely be squished in it's present location. Do they actually fruit? Are they little tart bombs or more like what I might recognize in my cultivated goosegogs?
    Thanks!
    The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Snadger: "I've found wild gooseberries in the hedgerows! Very small, hard, green and bitter hairy fruit!"

on this thread: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...2-a_13113.html
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've found a large patch of wild gooseberries in a local wood. I've been walking there for 30+ years and never spotted them before - although I have found the wild raspberries and some delicious apples.
      Ask me again later in the year what they taste like!

Comment

The wild gosgogs in our woods are small and tart but twice as delicious for being free! We also get redcurrants - yum!

I suspect that if you move them to your garden, give them more sun and a feed, you will get bigger berries.....
        If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

They've been moved to the trough until I've tackled the rest of the border which is currently infested with ground elder (yuck). Maybe I'll see if any of the wild currant plants have survived the intial squarshing and can me moved too. Gives me an idea for a comparison bed. Wild raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries and currants next to one of their cultivated counterparts (will require more digging though, and alllll that ground elder may finish me off!)
          The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            I've found a large patch of wild gooseberries in a local wood. I've been walking there for 30+ years and never spotted them before - although I have found the wild raspberries and some delicious apples.
            Ask me again later in the year what they taste like!
            When were you planning on telling me their locations then?

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
              When were you planning on telling me their locations then?
              Later, about November!

Comment

After you've munched them all? I'll be observing you, madam!!

Comment

If you see me all puckered up you'll know that the wild gooseberries are sour! Lots of blackberries, sloes and elder up there too, Chris. I'll let you know when the time is ripe!

Comment

You may not need to dig them up.

Gooseberries root fairly easily from pencil-sized cuttings taken while dormant.

The best results are from cuttings taken as the leaves are falling, but they root fairly well even if cuttings are taken just as the buds are swelling in spring.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X