No announcement yet.

Pawpaw fruit tree

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just re-reading this thread! Persimmons - another unusual fruit! I bought some from the supermarket a few months back but had difficulty separating the seeds from the pulp - so ate them instead! Maybe I'll try again when they're back in the shops.

Comment

I bought both trees but I haven't got a lot of experience with them...
      I bought some young PawPaw trees this year. Plants are hardy (I know a tree that survived several nights at -20°C this year). It will grow into a tree of about 4-5 m high. Most people are enthousiast concerning the taste

Persimmon : There are different species of the genus Diosporys. I have both Diosporys virginia, Diosporys lotus and Diosporys kaki.
      Diosporys virginia is hardy and gives small fruit. Diosporys lotus gives fruit that is a bit larger, hardiness=OK. Diosporys kaki (gives fruit the size of a Sharon fruit) is less hardy, and needs to be grafted onto Diosporys virginia to ensure hardiness. I know trees that survived the last winters (under -15°C) with some winter protection. I hear mixed reviews on the taste of the fruit (but I like the look of the tree and I'm that in a worst case scenario, my chicken will love the fruit )
      Last edited by sugar; 12-04-2012, 05:15 PM.

Comment

A cherimoya is not a custard apple, a cherimoya is a cherimoya. A custard apple is closely related to the cherimoya, they're both in the Annona family, but it's not exactly the same. A pawpaw is not a papaya. A pawpaw is another relative of cherimoyas and custard apples, but it is the only cold-tolerant member of the Annona family, and it is native to the eastern U.S., while a papaya is a tropical species, native to the American tropics. I have a small cherimoya tree in my yard, plus two papaya "trees". I put the trees in quotation marks, because although a papaya plant looks like a tree, it really is not one. It is soft-bodied and does not form wood. Attached here are pics of my cherimoya tree and one of my papaya plants. Note the very different leaf types. For those of you in Britain, I would expect a pawpaw to survive there, but not a papaya.

Originally posted by binley100 View Post
        But a cherimoya is a custard apple and a pawpaw is a papaya ....which one are you after ?
        Attached Files

Comment

I'll be buying my pawpaws in the shops I'm afraid! I'm not buying a greenhouse just for tropical fruit. If I want to grow them, I would just move north!
          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I would expect pawpaws to do well anywhere in Australia, perhaps as far south as Tasmania. But papayas are tropical to sub-tropical, as are cherimoyas. I'm going to The Philippines in February, and I'm gonna try to find a lot of fruit trees to photograph for this forum.
            Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
            I'll be buying my pawpaws in the shops I'm afraid! I'm not buying a greenhouse just for tropical fruit. If I want to grow them, I would just move north!

Comment

Hi, I am a new member and located in the USA (transplant). I hope I am not overstepping my boundaries, but just noticed some confusion about PawPaws and Papaya and just couldn't help myself I understand that both species are called PawPaw in the UK but they are not realy the same.
              -PawPaw (Asimina triloba) also known as Indiana Banana is cold hardy (zone 5-9).
              -Papaya (Carica papaya) is a subtropical in the herb family and is hardy to (zone 9B-11). They grow like weed here in Texas and fruit the same year if started early. Throwing 20-30 fresh seeds in a heap guarantee you female and male plants. I hope this helped and that I didn't step on anyones toes, that was not my intention. Regards, Gloria

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X