No announcement yet.

Raspberry 'Glen Ample' not growing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Scotsburn Walled Garden that I work in on Tuesdays, I planted out two rows of rasps in the back end of last year - 10 x Tullameen, 5 x Glen Ample and 5 x Glen Moy. Tullameen and Glen Moy showing leaf, Glen Ample just beginning to show some signs of life last week (albeit under the snow).
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Canes not growing

Hi,

I planted the following in February:

Malling Seeding
      Glen Ample
      Polka

None of these canes seems to have shown any life and still just look like brown sticks.

Any thoughts?

Comment

I have Glen Ample, they got to about a foot and a half in height and then stopped...no idea what's happened. Fed and watered so...?
        sigpic

Comment

Once they get going, Glen Ample are pretty big. On my allotment, I topped off the canes that grew last year at 5 feet, so I can reach the fruit easily. The new canes growing this year are about 6 inches tall so far.

When I first planted them I cut them to the ground, so that they didn't need to produce fruit as well as growing new strong canes. I think this is the best way with all summer fruiting raspberries. Otherwise they can take quite a few years to build up to full size.
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashers View Post
            Hi,

I planted the following in February:

Malling Seeding
            Glen Ample
            Polka

None of these canes seems to have shown any life and still just look like brown sticks.

Any thoughts?
            Just been to check the raspberries and the sticks look like they have no roots. Is it too late to plant some new ones? Or will they come to life?

Comment

May be not as long as what you buy now show signs of life
              My experience is its better to pot bare root canes up in pots in greenhouse / conservatory and harden off / plant out in late April. Had 100% survival, 2 litre pots solid roots and 18" of top growth with Polka that way vs outside 50% survival. Same purchase of bare roots.

Edit
              Just looked and its now 75% polka alive outside but still vast difference in growth of the two versions
              Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 11-05-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Hi Ashers and welcome. Glen Ample is a summer fruiting raspberry and will/should produce canes that will fruit next year. Malling Seedling and Polka are, I belive autumn fruiting and should throw up canes that will fruit later this year.
                However, no roots and brown sticks doesn't sound very hopeful. Are you keeping them well watered?
                Can I be so rude as to ask whether these were bought from one of the big gardening companies or from a "cheap" shop!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  However, no roots and brown sticks doesn't sound very hopeful. Are you keeping them well watered?
                  Can I be so rude as to ask whether these were bought from one of the big gardening companies or from a "cheap" shop!
                  How rude

Watered everyday since February
                  I purchased these and Blackberry canes from Wilkinsons. Blackberries are small, but have life in them. Raspberries look like they have no life.

Comment

I'm often rude but I can get away with it because I have a Pointy stick
                    I'm going to be rude again now I've found that a lot of the Wilko and other supermarket type stores don't care for their plants once they're on the shelves. In other words, they're sometimes dead before you buy them.
                    Raspberries are a bit difficult to buy as they are sold as dormant canes but running your finger nail down the cane should give you some idea of whether they're dead or alive. Green is good
                    Potted raspberries are still on sale online so you may be able to find some at a garden centre too. There should be summat green on them by now.

Comment

VC - I agree with your rude comment however I'm on my 3rd set of Marshalls raspberry canes and have one of 18 surviving

Comment

So are we suggesting a trip to the Garden Centre to get some plants?

Comment

I don't know what VC is suggesting - but I suggest that raspberries are hard to grow!

If I buy any more they'll be bought potted with some actual growth on so that they stand a chance!

Comment

I bought some raspberry canes from a garden centre a couple of years ago which never came to life. So I think garden centre, online nursery, garden centre/nursery can all fail.

At least with the garden centre they gave me my money back and you are probably going to get a replacement or refund with a big online company like Marshalls too. It's disappointing as we want fruit, not a refund but I suppose it's better than having no fruit and being out of pocket too.
                            Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Originally posted by Ashers View Post
                              So are we suggesting a trip to the Garden Centre to get some plants?
                              Sounds like a plan!

Comment

My sticks in the ground (Glen Ample) have been in since January I think. Noticed the first flourish of leaves this morning
                                Be Vegan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X