No announcement yet.

Update Apple trees are here. FB help please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FB, pretty please can you create a thread, and if we ask the lovely mods they might sticky it, you've offered fantastic advice over the years, and would be nice to create a repository for this knowledge
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

RedThorn

I'm wary of doing that because sometimes I change my mind about something with the benefit of experience. Sometimes things change, such as varieties or rootstocks losing their disease resistance due to a new strain of disease evolving.
      Each growing season brings new challenges and we learn a little more about the good and bad points of various varieties and techniques for growing or pruning.

However, I have modified my profile so that I am easier to contact.

I am currently gearing-up for production of small batches of baby apple trees that will be the height of eco-friendly:

Which I will grow without using any chemicals (even organic growers are allowed certain chemicals, while most tree nurseries are unable to produce trees without synthetic chemicals to keep the trees healthy).

To be grown in recycled composted/manured and other waste materials from a local recycling centre. All natural waste which, several years ago, would have gone to landfill.

To grow only rare varieties, which may have valuable genes in them that future generations can "fall back on" to breed new varieties with better health and vigour than modern inbred varieties.

To grow some varieties which tolerate a variety of difficult conditions, where most varieties do not grow well.

To grow varieties likely to remain attractive, healthy and long-lived trees (probably outliving their owners and maybe outliving their owners children), without the need for spraying in most parts of the UK.

To grow them mostly on strong rootstocks MM111 and M25 for quick establishment and a long and healthy life, with a range of varieties of different vigour on those rootstocks to make a variety of mature sizes suitable for all needs (yes, M25 or MM111 can be used for cordons if a weak-growing variety is grafted to it). Perhaps a few varieties also on semi-dwarf M26, if sufficient interest in semi-dwarfs.

To offer much more than usual detail (from my own spray-free experiments/observations) information on the good and bad points of each variety or rootstock and offer full advice, at any time, on any of the varieties, their management and their likely suitability for certain soils or climates.

To offer them at "cost price" and "not for profit" - i.e. not more than a few quid each (plus a bit more if posted).

To replace - free of charge - any which die, if provided with photographic evidence of disease being the cause of death.
      Last edited by FB.; 23-03-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
        RedThorn

I'm wary of doing that because sometimes I change my mind about something with the benefit of experience. Sometimes things change, such as varieties or rootstocks losing their disease resistance due to a new strain of disease evolving.
        Each growing season brings new challenges and we learn a little more about the good and bad points of various varieties and techniques for growing or pruning.

However, I have modified my profile so that I am easier to contact.

I am currently gearing-up for production of small batches of baby apple trees that will be the height of eco-friendly:

Which I will grow without using any chemicals (even organic growers are allowed certain chemicals, while most tree nurseries are unable to produce trees without synthetic chemicals to keep the trees healthy).

To be grown in recycled composted/manured and other waste materials from a local recycling centre. All natural waste which, several years ago, would have gone to landfill.

To grow only rare varieties, which may have valuable genes in them that future generations can "fall back on" to breed new varieties with better health and vigour than modern inbred varieties.

To grow some varieties which tolerate a variety of difficult conditions, where most varieties do not grow well.

To grow varieties likely to remain attractive, healthy and long-lived trees (probably outliving their owners and maybe outliving their owners children), without the need for spraying in most parts of the UK.

To grow them mostly on strong rootstocks MM111 and M25 for quick establishment and a long and healthy life, with a range of varieties of different vigour on those rootstocks to make a variety of mature sizes suitable for all needs (yes, M25 or MM111 can be used for cordons if a weak-growing variety is grafted to it). Perhaps a few varieties also on semi-dwarf M26, if sufficient interest in semi-dwarfs.

To offer much more than usual detail (from my own spray-free experiments/observations) information on the good and bad points of each variety or rootstock and offer full advice, at any time, on any of the varieties, their management and their likely suitability for certain soils or climates.

To offer them at "cost price" and "not for profit" - i.e. not more than a few quid each (plus a bit more if posted).

To replace - free of charge - any which die, if provided with photographic evidence of disease being the cause of death.
        You Sir, are absolutely fantastic.

Over the past six months I've become engrossed in growing apples and your knowledge on the subject has been inspirational to say the least, thank you and I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for when these trees become available.
        Garden Chris

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X