Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grapes

can anyone give me any info on growing grapes please

There's a pic of my grapes on the Fruit & veg. showcase page. I bought a small plant (just looked like a twig in a pot) of a black outdoor variety, can't remember the name as I lost the label, a few years ago. I just dug a hole beside an arch threw in a bit of blood,fish & bone & watered it in. The vines should be pruned twice a year, in the summer when the flowers are appearing cut the stems back to a couple of leaves past the flower & pick off the weakest flowers if there is more than one per stem & cut back any long stray stems without flowers if they are just romping away & serving no purpose. In late winter before any signs of growth cut back anything which didn't flower to a few buds or joints & any flowering stems to 2 or 3 buds past where it flowered. There are some very complicated pruning methods out there especially if you want to train the vine properly or grow it inside a greenhouse but the basic system works for me. It took about three years of growth before the vine flowered but may be quicker if you buy a larger one to start with.I occasionally feed in the spring/summer with seaweed or tomato feed but apparently you shouldn't water them too much when the fruits are swelling or they may split. The prunings can be rooted in pots to increase your crop but will take a few years to get anywhere, well mine seem to!
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Take a look at:
      http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...pe_pruning.asp
      Will tell you about pruning and maintenance.
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Bob Flowerdew's books 'Organic bible' & 'the no-work garden' also have useful small sections on grape growing.
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

thanx everyone you,s have been most helpfull ....cheers when could i plant it outside then train it into my pollytunnel ?

Comment

Anytime from April onwards.
            Best wishes
            Andrewo
            Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X