No announcement yet.

vine weevils in my strawberry pots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just brought my strawberry plants down to the allotment from home and low and behold I find these grubby little things in one of my pots. Advice followed from above and they have been chucked in the composter. Sayonara Suckers!

Comment

After smashing them with the shovel that is.
      Last edited by FlawlessVictory; 30-10-2014, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Take as much soil off the plants as you can, then drown in a bucket of water for 12 hours--then plant up as normal, worked for me a couple of years ago.
        Make a nice stew/curry out of all the dead grubs in the bottom of the bucket.
        Someone needs to find out how long a vine weevil can live once immersed in water, I would but I really have got better things to do at the moment.
        Feed the soil, not the plants.
        (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
        Bob

Comment

Originally posted by plymouthred View Post
          I attempted strawberries in two of the big planters I got very cheaply. One lot went fairly okay but the others got severely attacked by these blighters! As very new to gardening, my first year last year, I didn't really see the tell tale signs.

Today I went to sort out the pots and found tiny little maggots in them, not hundreds but say a couple of dozen in the first foot or so of soil. I do not intend to try strawberries again in the planters but all the compost in both was newly put in last year.

Would it be safe enough to hand sieve the soil, take out the maggots and kill them then spread the soil on my soil patch ready to put into my raised bed (Onions, carrots and leeks) or should I take precautionary action with a spray?

Someone recommended Armillatox but I see this has been banned and hard to come by?
          empty the pots, wash off all the compost, trim the leaves off, wrap plants in damp kitchen roll and store in cold area bottom of your fridge until you want to plant them up. The compost should be scattered onto the veg patch as we find that robins go through this with a fine tooth comb and get all the grubs, a few years ago I bet OH about this and put about 3ins deep compost into a deep tray with the larva inside and after 3-4hrs all the larva were gone(sides of tray were vertical so they couldn't crawl out). encourage the birds, we feed them and have 2 robin ,1 wren,1 blackbird and usually 2-3 sparrow nests each year and with the local thrushes getting the snails I never have to use anything artificial in the garden, but it does take 2-3yrs to get the balance so we only get an occasional veg/flower getting nibbled and if there were no bugs there would be virtually no birds and how sad would that be........
          Last edited by BUFFS; 03-11-2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X