Moving rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    My understanding and what I have always followed is to throw the crowns down and leave them overwinter for the frosts to get a hold of and then to plant up in the springtime. They survive so it can't be that wrong but is it right?
    True. My Grandfather and Father both swore by this. They also would split the crowns and leave them to let the frost get to them. I still have some crowns from those 80 year old originals.

Comment

They thrive with frost and manure, but just never let them get waterlogged - that's what I go by !
      There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I have two crowns lying on the surface now ready to be planted soon!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

ref.. horse manure & rhubarb,is it to late to put some around the crowns this time of year,tis aprox 5 months old,have read that if touching the plant it will burn it,any advise please,next year will split them up,last 2 years have only seen mainly pencil thin stalks,
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Is it ok to transplant rhubarb now? We've just got another polytunnel (an unexpected opportunity) and the best place to put it is where the rhubarb currently is.

Is it ok to prepare the rhubarb plot (we've been offered some well rotted manure) and plant rhubarb straight into it or is it best to prepare plot and wait a while before transplanting? If we have to wait then we won't be able to put the polytunnel up yet - we've weighed up different places to put it, but the rhubarb plot is the most suitable one.

Advice very much appreciated.
            Lass

In all things of nature there is something marvellous.
            - Aristotle

Comment

Well, you need to get your polytunnel up so you need to move your rhubarb. Prepare your new rhubarb patch and move the plant(s) with minimum delay. You will need to give it some TLC this year cos the move will stress it. (is it shooting yet?)

Comment

It's a shame to have to move it as it's thriving and looking very good - lots of shoots etc.

We did wonder if it would be best to delay putting up the polytunnel this year, harvest rhubarb and move it in October .... however I'm keen to plant more 'inside' this year and deny the slugs, caterpillars etc at least some of their annual feast!

What TLC will be needed if it's moved this week?
                Lass

- Aristotle

Comment

Since I have no idea how large your rhubarb plot is in relation to the size of the polytunnel, you must excuse me if this is totally out of the question!
                  Why not move half the rhubarb now to another spot and put the tunnel up over the remainder. Then, at the end of the season move those to the other place.

Comment

We did consider building the polyt around the rhubarb, but wondered if it would be too hot in there for it??
                    Lass

- Aristotle

Comment

If I remember correctly lass, rhubarb comes from a central continental climate - China or somewhere - it will be used to much hotter summers than we generally are used to in the UK. (The clue there is that it is so hardy - it is adapted to both extremes of temperature, because there are larger swings in seasonal climate as you go further from the sea.)
                      But you absolutely must, really must, keep the roots cool enough, and moist enough. That would be easy enough in a polytunnel I would think, especially as the leaves will shade the root area, and the soil will be much cooler than the air.
                      There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I moved 3 rhubarb crowns last weekend to no avail as yet. Move as big a rootball of soil as poss. I suppose you've got to weigh up what is more important, the rhubarb or the poly.
                        Last edited by Bigmallly; 27-03-2012, 09:55 AM.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X