Apple tree ground preparation

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple tree ground preparation

My new tree will soon arrive. I plan on putting it on the allotment.

I was wondering how I should prepare the ground? Any tips welcomed!

Loving my allotment!

I must admit, this is something that's on my mind too. I think the RHS website however gives a decent enough guide, but I'm hopeful someone will answer this question with a little more precision.
    Garden Chris

Comment

Allotment soils are often deep and fertile.
      I suggest dig a generous hole, loosen the sides and bottom with a fork, hammer in a stake if required, plant the tree and replace the soil.
      Water well immediately after planting to settle the soil and remove air pockets.
      Lightly prune a small amount off the tips of the branches to encourage fresh growth and remove any tip-borne flower buds which will cause branches to break or permanently bend under the fruit weight.

Give two bucketfulls of water once per week during dry periods. Do not water too often and do not water lightly such that only surface roots will be active.

Come back a few years later and enjoy the fruits.

Garden soils are much more variable and may benefit from amendment, enrichment or heavy mulching.
      Last edited by FB.; 12-10-2011, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks FB. Should I manure an FBB the hole too? I will need to stake as it can get a bit windy. What should I do with any buds/fruit that develops in the first summer?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

I would be cautious with the use of manure on a soil which is already likely to be quite fertile.
          Maybe a light mulch of manure, but I'd be inclined to see how fertile the soil is before adding more enrichment.

Generally speaking, it is best to remove fruits in the first couple of seasons. In the early years of a fruit trees life, the fruit produced is usually only a small amount and of poor quality - assuming that the pests don't get it first with only one fruit but ten maggots/earwigs/birds looking for a meal!
          Young trees are notorious for dropping their fruit before it is ripe - so it has wasted its energy (it takes a lot of energy to produce just one fruit) and not only wasted its energy but the fruit never ripened properly to be of any use to you either.

If the tree grows strongly or is on a strong rootstock (you don't mention variety or rootstock) it can be allowed to crop, but the fruit will still be of inferior quality.

Beware of the weight of fruit permanently bending down (or breaking) the branches of a young tree.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X