No announcement yet.

interesting fruit (etc.)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about Yacon? Its decorative and the tuber is huge ( not wildly delicious though, a bit like an unsweet pear)

Comment

I have a Chilean Guava - have had it for years but I've not given it much tlc. Its still in a pot. It has fruited, small fruit - very pleasant taste - but you'd need a lot to make a meal. Supposed to have been Queen Victoria's favourite fruit

Comment

Tick
        tick
        tick
        strangely I've also just ordered chilean guava plants, bought two Edible honeysuckles, Chinese artichoke as well as Pineapple Guavas, Elephant garlic, yacon, tasmanian mountain pepper.

So if you're going down the unwise route, I'm following! Whether I'll succeed...I don't know - I just wanted to do some different @ 'lotment....

Comment

I've got all sorts. I bought Chilean Guava last year and it came with fruits. Like VC said not many, but very sweet tasting. I've just put it in a bed with the bluerberries and red currants. I think I read it was acid loving at least. I also have pinkberries in there too.

I'm going to grow oca instead of potatoes and tomtillas instead of tomatoes. I also grow quinoa. I'll be growing salsify and scornozona as roots, and will try root parsley again. (it never worked last year)

Going to try chickpeas out this year, cucamellons and allsorts of things. As I've 21 poles I can afford to be a bit experimental. Where abouts in London are you?

Just to go back onto topic, I also have worcestberries, will try shark fin melon (from the VSP) Also have an almond tree to plant out. I'm poppping to Aldi this thursday as the have fruit trees for £3.99 I'm hoping they have a few interesting types as well as the usual ones.
          Last edited by kathycam; 02-02-2013, 09:57 AM.
          http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

I'm definitely trying a few James Wong fruit seeds this year. Cucamelon, tomatillo and Inca Berries in particular. No doubt people have been growing these for years, first time I've seen them though.

Comment

I've also had chilean guava, fruit was yummy but I only got about three berries off it and it then it died over winter. Would love to try again but can't find any for sale up here.

I have two edible honeysuckle, they came as tiny 4" plants, have taken ages to get going but now a good two or three feet across (I do keep moving them round though). So far I've not had a single berry off them (think I must have had them 4 years now) - I do see them start but I don't know if they fall off or something eats them but they flowered and flowered for ages last year at a time not much else was and the bees loved them so they're staying for that reason.

I've also tried hemerocallis flowers and they're not bad at all

You didn't mention them but I have a few other unusuals that might be worth looking at:
              Aronia - very sour and astringent raw - only good for cooking
              Amelanchier - quite tasty but a bit on the small side (look at canadensis or alnifolia)
              Elaeagnus - I can't get mine to fruit but they're meant to be nice and very productive in the right spot
              Fuchsia - some of the berries are yummy and easier to grow than most unusuals
              Berberis - berries are quite sour but really tasty

Or have a look on any of these
              Kore KoreWildFruitNursery.co.uk
              or Agroforestry Agroforestry research trust fruits nuts seeds plants publications
              or real seeds Great Vegetable Seeds from The Real Seed Catalogue
              Last edited by purplekat; 04-02-2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Bought some of James Wong's herbs to try something different.

Managed to get Turmeric root to sprout a few years back, Ginger too, but both died when it got too cold in my bathroom during the winter.

I also have a Japanese Quince in a tub next to the back door, which is starting to look a wee bit tatty. I think the cold might have done for it, but will prune it back and see what happens. My dog loved the fruit from it last year and was eating them off the branches!
                Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

Originally posted by purplekat View Post
                  I've also tried hemerocallis flowers and they're not bad at all
                  You can also eat the leaves and tubers of hemerocallis (day lilies). I had some of the young leaves this week in a salad

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X