No announcement yet.

Melons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never had much success with melons in the past but am having another go this year. I have a backup plan as I have some high sugar winter squash which are supposed to be so sweet they can be eaten raw. We shall see.

Ian

Comment

I have a couple of melon sweetheart seedlings to try for the first time this year.

If I could get a pair like that in my GH I would be a very happy man, don't like the handbag though.

Colin
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I don't suit yellow, LV or Mulberrybags but had a go at Sweetheart last year. Got a few lovely tasting melons the size of a tennis ball.

This year have 3 little seedlings that have just taken out to greenhouse today, think they are the Real Seeds ones in original post.

Comment

if i can get all the nettles up i shall be planting a whole load of blacktail mountain (about 10 ) least that way i should get at least 1 decent size watermelon...

Comment

I'm trying for the first time this year with Minnesota Midget also. It's going so well! Only just remembered to put in the seeds (none germinated yet) and have planned to have them tied up and growing upwards from the growbag in plastic greenhouses without checking if they do actually grow up...

I look forward to adding new pests and diseases to my collection as they compete to see which ones will kill off the plants first before any fruit at all, or after they all fruit and look great, but before they ripen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabidbun View Post
              I'm trying for the first time this year with Minnesota Midget also. It's going so well! Only just remembered to put in the seeds (none germinated yet) and have planned to have them tied up and growing upwards from the growbag in plastic greenhouses without checking if they do actually grow up...

I look forward to adding new pests and diseases to my collection as they compete to see which ones will kill off the plants first before any fruit at all, or after they all fruit and look great, but before they ripen.

That's the spirit I'm after. Welcome on board!

Comment

I'm growing Outdoor Wonder for the first time. Got 2 seedlings on the go and am planning to keep them in the greenhouse despite the claim they'll grow outside in the UK summer. I'm sacrificing valuable tomato space for these - so I'd better get some decent results!!
                come visit a garden
                or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm going to try 'orange sherbet'. Outside. Hoping for a nice warm summer, obviously!

Apparently one meal sized fruits. I had two packets (not cheap!!!) and 5 germinated, although one is a bit feeble... they are all dinky and in my propogator at the mo.

So we will see!

Comment

Wasn't it Selfraising that grew melons up through the shelves of a plastic blowaway?
                    The only time I succeeded with melons was with a scorching hot summer and a lot of protection - and loads of feeding and watering. But they were the nicest melons I ever tasted - sweetheart and ogen.
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I'm having a go at growing Ogen this year my sweetheart ones last year were eaten at the seedling stage by sciarid fly larvae (too much watering!).

Comment

Well, eight seedlings came up - yay!

So I killed one to make up for it...

Looks like damping off as the stem rotted on it, but it had dried out so goodness knows, lol. Tempted to plant more as I really wanted ten and this does not bode well, but might see what the garden centres have in the way of short season melons later on.

Comment

change of heart about melons this year:

Today I am sowing some Minnesota Midgets in the propagator and will find somewhere to squeeze them in, with space to sprawl on the grass.

Praying for a scorching hot summer, and will remember to pollinate them by hand.

Gratuitious picture of what i'm hoping for, from someone's blog:

Comment

Erm... can I just say

I went to check on my plants this morning and one looked a bit sad. I thought the pot might be sitting on the top leaves so I moved it to release them and - lo and behold

*huffs on nails and polishes them on lapel of dressing gown
                            Attached Files
                            A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

That's a seriously cool melon!

Mine are still quite small plants - getting whitened and bronzed leaves though, so goodness know's what is wrong with em!

Comment

Thank you, I'm so excited. OH can't see what all the fuss is about mind you, he is a computer bod and doesn't "do" gardening.
                                Mine aren't happy that often either. Perhaps the stress has caused the plant to fruit I plan on giving them a feed with some tomatorite (or similar) to see if that will perk them up.
                                A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X