No announcement yet.

Strawberry Advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest, any that you grow that haven't travelled thousands of miles will be a damn sight better tasting than those awful ones you buy in the shops, regardless of cultivar/variety.

Don't know of any sorry, but if I had any of those plants I'd have posted you a couple of runners... perhaps post a thread in the seed swap to see if anyone has any plants that have runners available?

Comment

Thankyou, but I'm still a newbie here, and loving the site, so don't want to break any rules

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
      To be honest, any that you grow that haven't travelled thousands of miles will be a damn sight better tasting than those awful ones you buy in the shops, regardless of cultivar/variety.
      Had to love my daughters in the supermarket the other day, sniffing packs of strawberries and claiming that as they smelt ripe, they should taste good too
      Poor loves can't wait. Strawberries are definately something that I'll only buy in season (no matter how many I grow we always need more) though we try to get to the local PYO as a second best, as you say, nothing beats locally grown, fresh strawberries Have to say though that on my old allotment we inherited a bed, and I was quite happy to let the kids eat all of them, as they didn't taste of much at all

Comment

Probably had been cropped too long and needed replacing... Dunno what the rules are, I thought it was 10 posts - may have been revised though, I've not looked!

Comment

I will send the wife down to Aldi and see what she can get, thanks for the tip off.

Comment

i got some this morning - really health looking plants along with a reg gooseberry bush for £2.99!! cant go wrong

Comment

I have some Cambridge Favourite this will be the second year so hope to get loads more, they are in flower already. I do have about 30 runners left with nowhere to plant them so will probably try and sell them at the shop on the site. I also have some others this will be their first year and the name has gone from memory, begins with S and was posted as cheap on this forum. I then have some that I have no idea what they are, they came from someone on the lottie site so I call the lottie strawberries.
              Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
              and ends with backache

Comment

In a related question do you get fruit from runners in year one or would it take until year two?

Comment

Originally posted by domart View Post
                  i got some this morning - really health looking plants along with a reg gooseberry bush for £2.99!! cant go wrong
                  Just got back from Aldi with my Cambridge Favourites and a red Gooseberry too

Comment

Originally posted by ugley_matt View Post
                    In a related question do you get fruit from runners in year one or would it take until year two?
                    You should get some fruit but not as much as you will in year 2 and 3. Protect from the birds though as soon as the fruit start to come.
                    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                    and ends with backache

Comment

gariguette and maras de bois are very good -- marshmello quite good but I wouldn`t bother with cambridge favourite( Cambridge late pine are far superior ).Hapil are also good and grow well in adverse conditions .As for all the others mentioned here I wouldn`t bother if you`re interested in flavour (look on the ken muir website -the best ones are described as Excellent Flavour )
                      Tom

Comment

have grown my strawberries from seed, and i am amazed that from what appeared to specks of dust have grown into my little seedlings, will they produce fruit this year ? I also bought some plants from Wilko and i thought they looked dead, when opened but i planted them and they appear to be thriving , how big should the ones from Wilko get before i plant them in a strawberry bag ? Thanks for you help x

Comment

Most of my strwbs have flowers now and the alpine has been flowering for 3weeks now but have just started to fruit can't wait for the alpines I bought them last year and was amazed just how good they taste .a world away from normal strwds tiny fruit but well worth that tiny flavour exsploshion in your mouth . Raspberrie have started to flower to .. Have about 7 variertys of strawbs now to cover the whole season . But with such early flowering it's guna be along season thankfully.. Intereasted to here aldi and such are dowing cheap deals to !!!can never have enuff plants.. It's seriously addictive once you have your fist plants you just can't spot collecting more...how everyone doses plants dowing in this strangely hot spring???
                          My year log of growthhttp://http://backgardenfarm.blogspot.com/
                          up dated blog 27th june ..pls read if u have the time
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e0YjOHl2zI

Comment

Originally posted by dirtgirl View Post
                            Ken Muir does all of them except for Marshmello, which I can only see at Marshalls, does anyone know anywhere online that has Marshmello for a better price inc. P+P?
                            Hello!
                            don't know if you're still interested in marshmello but...

It's supposed to be a Marshall's "exclusive" so you can only get it from Marshall's.

BUT, there is an ebay seller called tomthumbswife who lists marshmallo plants from time to time.

If you message him on ebay he might rustle some up.

(i got some from him and they were good quality).

Comment

Thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                                Gariguette, Charlotte and Maras de Bois are ...always superb.
                                Originally posted by tomsloc View Post
                                gariguette and maras de bois are very good
                                I'm now looking to replace my Mara des Bois - I've found them utterly tasteless

This thread has put me off Cambridge Fave too

Are there any more votes for Gariguette before I spend my £5 voucher? Thanks guys
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X