No announcement yet.

What do you use under your strawbs ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You only need to use straw if you are growing in the ground, GVR. It stops the fruit from getting gritty. Your tower will do the same job.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I use those matt/collar things. Only because I somehow have a drawer full in the garage. I grow in hanging baskets mainly, but this year I've some in some beds.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
        What do I put under my Strawbs?

Meringue or Cheesecake, and cream on the top!!!!

Sorry!
        ditto G4 i was thinking the same.
        this will be a battle from the heart
        cymru am byth

Comment

Thank you Scarey55! Sounds great. Can you grow strawberries indoors though?

Jess

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
          Just get yourself a couple of plants and pot on the runners when they arrive. When we came to live here I snuck a couple of pots in the car with 2 plants in each. I now (after 4 years) have 2 big beds full of strawberries and am giving plants away. They do like to multiply.

Comment

Originally posted by Send A Cow View Post
            Thank you Scarey55! Sounds great. Can you grow strawberries indoors though?

Jess
            Now, that's a good question. I wasn't sure so I Googled it and apparently you can

I just put growing strawberries indoors into Google (other search engines are available ) and there is loads of info on how to do it, which varieties are good etc. Hope it helps.
            A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Old fleece.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

nowt under mine, but my soil tends to be very dry so the fruit doesn't rot on the ground and slugs aren't a major problem (although the blackbirds will take a bite out of every single fruit if I let them)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have straw under mine - trouble is the slugs like to hide under it. We don't have that many but when they take a nibble out and leave a trail across the fruit it puts you off.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to look into it and letting me know!

That's great news - I will give it a Google I am growing a few bits in my bag garden so it would be great to add some strawberries to it!!

Jess

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                    Now, that's a good question. I wasn't sure so I Googled it and apparently you can

I just put growing strawberries indoors into Google (other search engines are available ) and there is loads of info on how to do it, which varieties are good etc. Hope it helps.

Comment

I used straw last year but the slugs still seemed to have a field day with my strawberries. Will try some jam jars with a drop of beer in them this year, hopefully this will give me a better edible crop unlike all the half eaten strawberries I was left with last year.

Comment

I've grown my strawberries in hanging baskets. The slugs can't jump that high. All seems to be well with them at the moment. Plenty of flowers
                        Built for comfort, not speed!

Comment

We used slug traps with beer for the first time this year, and so far, we've been happy with the results. We're growing strawberries in hanging bags and in a big bag, but have a couple of plants on the ground. Haven't seen any slug damage on any other plants, though, including newly planted-out green beans.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X