Planting Fruit Trees in Pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

El Greeno

I don't know what part of Essex your from but I was in Colchester Homebase today and they are selling Green dessert columnar apple trees, which I grow happily in a 18" pot
    and have produced some really nice apples in the last 2 years. They are reputed to grow between 6' to 8' (mines currently about 6'). There really the same as a Minarette.

Comment

apple trees grow well in pots if you water them frequintly and feed them once in a while. (luckly for me i dont have to dew to my local climate) you should have no problems. i may be in a different part of the country to most on this thread but i have no problems growing apples in pots i would suggest something like a m9 or m26 rootstock and also something like a 120-240 litre pot and make sure you stake them

Comment

the bramleys can be grown in espallier fashion,ive had mine 8yrs now and originally (naive) i wanted stepover plants,but,as said,they are very vigourous,so ,instead of 3ft high,it is now7/8ft,but branches going out 5ft either side and 5 levels,we get a very good crop each year,i dont think you could go any smaller without hitting the productivity,but its worth it for the taste....

Comment

Thanks guys, plenty to mull over there!

I'm in the Thurrock area (Grays) so completely different side of Essex lol, not that the climate really changes.

I'll give the cider a miss...

Comment

I put my potted fruit trees into buckets bought from pound style shops, some holes drilled in the bottom for drainage,some john innes No3 compost, they stay in there for 2yrs then with their now abundant root systems they go into 50cm pots and put into their final site,i now have 8 that seem very happy and produce well. the smaller young trees I pot into cleaned out 5ltr+ opaque plastic paint tubs, the brand name etc always seems to peel off given a 5 min soak, the bottom is drilled and the top rim cut off with a Stanley knife, and plant is inserted, I cover the sides with cardboard and can just peel it back to check the root growth at any time I like, so it never gets potbound...works for me...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X