No announcement yet.

New to Blueberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2sheds- if you find them tasteless , just gently cook them with a sprinkling of sugar!YUM!

My 3 bushes are in a wind tunnel too-the bay tree looks dreadful after this winter, and yet the blueberries which are planted next to it look absolutely fine- in fact one of them is about to open it's buds any day now!!
    No idea about pots though- sorry!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
      Is it having trouble sleeping?
      lol

Don't know, that's what I'm worried about
      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Again, I can only relay what I have done, I have never given my blueberries tea, coffee, wine or anything stronger than water - they have been excellent fruiters

Interesting about the coffee grounds though
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

My blueberries are grown in the ground : at the end of our fruit section: shaded until 11am after spring..

Great taste if left to ripen properly - lots of netting needed.

Our soil is neutral: I add lots of compost every year and a 4 monthly dose of acidifying feed.. Growmore for Ericaceous plants.

Part from that healthy neglect. 2 died on me, the remaining five are healthy.

Over winter the temperatures drop as low as -17C and we had one spell of two weeks when the ground was always frozen..
          They survive..

Comment

I dont grow them, as I am in the tasteless corner with TS, but my gardening guru's do.
            Theirs were grown as cuttings from another bush, grown on in a raised bed and then into the ground proper.
            They water often, use pine needles and I have a feeling coffee too, possibly wood ash??
            Last year they got over 15lb of them, tried to give some to me but I refused.
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Yay - just picked up a new one from wilkinsons! That makes 2 in pots on the plot. Nothing quite like 'em for muffins and pancakes. Thanks for the info folks.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                2sheds- if you find them tasteless , just gently cook them with a sprinkling of sugar!YUM!

My 3 bushes are in a wind tunnel too-the bay tree looks dreadful after this winter, and yet the blueberries which are planted next to it look absolutely fine- in fact one of them is about to open it's buds any day now!!
                No idea about pots though- sorry!
                Despite the fact that I spent one third of my life on the other side of the Atlantic, i never really liked them. Then at the end of last year my local market was selling them off at about 40p a punnet. We were wandering with neighbours and Carol bought about 10 punnets.

'I don't really like them' I said. 'Try them my way' said Carol (the neighbour).

It was like what you do Nicos but with a soupçon (hey that's good, I found the cedilla on a UK keyboard) of clove powder. It cost me nearly £20 to buy 3 bushes.
                Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                >
                >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

i dont know the life expectancy of blueberries but i have 2 varieties patriot and chandler which are over 10 years old in 50 litre pots i would advise to repot them every 2-3 years with new ericaceous compost and give them a trim in feb just before it starts to bud in march mine keep getting bigger crops as the years pass chandler has berrys the size of a 10p one of the easiest and hardiest fruit anyone can grow

Comment

I have grown blueberries for a number of years. Each year I have a heavy crop yet all I have ever done is placed them in container of ericaceous and watered them using rainwater. Other than that I have left nature to do its work. Yes, when eating blueberries straight off the bush they are tasteless, but when used in cooking that's when the taste really comes alive.

Comment

I've got to get some of these. I spent about 9 years of my childhood running wild in the Deep South of the states and I remember bushes so big we used to have to climb them to get to the top where the best berries were. sigh....wheres my debit card *rumagerummagerummage*
                      The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

I was told by a friend to dig a lemon into the soil at the base of the blueberry bush to replace the acid levels in the soil. Has anyone tried this?
                        My blueberry is very sad and I didnt bother picking the 3 berrys it produced last year. I would love to revive it. Also due to this thread I have purchased 3 more plants at the weekend and potted them in ericaceous compost as recommended here. My wife makes excellent blueberry muffins and blueberry pavlova, but with only 3 berrys the muffins are getting smaller.

Comment

I bought a blueberry plant from Aldi last year. I am sure that I read last week that you need to have at least 2 for them to bear any fruit, is this correct, do I need to buy another one?
                          Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

To get a good crop you really need 2 21again. They often will fruit without an external pollinator but not very impressively.
                            Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                            >
                            >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                              To get a good crop you really need 2 21again. They often will fruit without an external pollinator but not very impressively.
                              Tut!

I haven't got a clue which type it was as I have lost the details, I suppose they should be the same type is that right?
                              Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

From what I understand they do not need to be the same type.
                                History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X