No announcement yet.

Is this rhubarb?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it looks like a well established crown, so if you are going to move it u could also split it into two or three crowns and replant about three feet apart, good luck with digging it out, you need to dig deep and allow a good space around it as well as it will have huge roots if its a well established crown

Comment

moving it is my plan for saturday

Comment

I love rhubarb too and have managed to grow some from seed this year, no idea what variety but I have about 10 shoots showing. You are welcome to some if they come to anything
        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

If you can get away with it I would leave it where it is for this year. TS is right in that it is best to move it when dormant, but that picture is sprouting, not dormant, so it is clearly an early variety. You may get away with it but I'd try moving next December.
          Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
          >
          >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
            If you can get away with it I would leave it where it is for this year. TS is right in that it is best to move it when dormant, but that picture is sprouting, not dormant, so it is clearly an early variety. You may get away with it but I'd try moving next December.
            I wish I could leave it It's right against where my path needs to be. The plot has been split in half and it's right in the way and will just get crushed under foot

Not only that but there isn't a lot of room even if the plot hadn't been split, it's a MASSIVE crown, and part of it is under a fence now

I'm going to move it this weekend and hope for the best!

Given I haven't yet got any manure, is there anything else I can put with it when I move it that will help it settle in? I'm guessing gin and a blanket won't work for a plant (it works for me )

Comment

I don't think you will kill it (rhubarb takes a lot of killing) but if you move it do not harvest it this year, give it until 2011 to settle into its new home. Feed it with tomato food, or better still comfrey juice, but not many people have that and not many suppliers sell it, so tommie food is probably best. I'd also give it some bone meal or BFB but they especially pure bonemeal, are fairly slow acting. even good old fashioned 10-10-10 like Growmore wouldn't hurt but is not the best in this case.
              Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
              >
              >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

did you just speak in english?

*tries to learn new stuff fast*

thanks x

Comment

If you cant beg borrow or steal any manure, then any compost is better than no compost. But manure is definitely what it likes best.

As already said, its hardy stuff so you will struggle to kill it if you have to move it, and I'm guessing you have to, but I would also advise against harvesting anything from it this year, give it a chance to sort itself back out again after a move. Stressful thing this moving you know.
                  Bob Leponge
                  Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X