No announcement yet.

Still ok to buy fruit trees/bushes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all ive planted my apple,pear and plum trees today will they be ok with the weather? and do they need staking?
    thanks
    Paul

Comment

Staking depends on the rootstock, the age/size of the tree, the shape that you plan to grow it, and how windy you area.
      If in doubt, stake it for a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Francey66 View Post
        Hi all ive planted my apple,pear and plum trees today will they be ok with the weather? and do they need staking?
        thanks
        Paul
        it would definitely not do any harm to stake your trees for sure after a few years it would probably just split or snap anyway.the problem i have here is the ground is bone solid at least 5inch thick with frost since mid december and stupid me i just bought another plum tree expecting it to be at least thawed by know this was last week so the roots are all raped up and the tree is sitting in my garden hut waiting for the ground to thaw for me to plant it

Comment

I'm planning to plant out my soft fruit bushes and canes today, they've been in a garage (detatched from house, no source of heat) after being out for a couple of days last week (had some frosts) - if I plant out today, is it wise to cover them with fleece to get them a bit more aclimatised?

thanks

Also if it's going to frost, should I cover them?

Comment

Soft fruit is usually pretty hardy. I wouldn't bother with fleece. But then I never do with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by littleexperience View Post
              it would definitely not do any harm to stake your trees for sure after a few years it would probably just split or snap anyway.the problem i have here is the ground is bone solid at least 5inch thick with frost since mid december and stupid me i just bought another plum tree expecting it to be at least thawed by know this was last week so the roots are all raped up and the tree is sitting in my garden hut waiting for the ground to thaw for me to plant it
              You could warm up the area you want to plant by using a plastic mulch or improvised coldframe/cloche. An upside down fishtank would work well.

Comment

I would not worry about protecting them.
                They should be hardy - and the worst of the winter should be past now.

Comment

Thanks chaps, all planted out bar the gooseberry at the mo. Will do that later.

Snapped off a new rasberry cane by mistake, but you live and learn eh?

One last one.... I've a dwarf apricot... Dwarf aprigold. Is this hardy? Planning on putting it in a large pot so I can move it incase it's not?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                    I've had a good think, and read of my gardening book and would like if possible to go for the following trees:

- Apple
                    - Pear
                    - Plum
                    -Apricot

After reading, it seems apricots are more suited to our climate - but the added bonus is that we both love apricots!

I've also attached a rough plan (not to scale) of what i'm thinking.. I'm having a fence put up along the bottom arc, and up past where the green house will be - so it'll be more sheltered than it currently is. The purple box past the fruit trees will probably be where we stick the chicken run thingy - when we look into that in a few years time. I'd hope by that time the trees will have grown a bit to provide some shade for them, etc.

I was thinking of the M26, as it's a bit more vigorous at providing fruit? Ideally, though I'd like trees that are roughly the same size - as I'd not want an apple tree dominating over the other three.

My neighbour has a Victoria plum, Conference Pear (which I'd like also), and I *think* an apple tree, but I'm not sure will have to double check.. Although apple wise, as below I may get a couple varieties?

I have thought though, about getting maybe 5 or so cordon varieties, and growing them up the side of the house - next to Rasberries, or Blackberries (looking for thornless varieties, due to the baby).

Thanks, FB - I've had time to digest your information, really helpful.

Well, we've a young baby - ideally I'd love her to be able to go out into the garden when she's a bit older (2-3?) and choose what fruit she wants to eat (+veg!), is that a realistic timescale?

Are wet places are more prone to canker/scab?

As mentioned, I'd like trees that are roughly the same sort of size - so if I have to drop from an M26, then that's fine too..

Ok thank you, i'll look into both of them.

Yep, as mentioned i'd like a conference pear tree. With the neighbour having a couple fruit trees that's helpful - but I take it self polinators may be better?

Oh yes, I'm planning on before and after pictures - don't you worry!

I'll have a look at them, although I'd prefer to support a local supplier as then I know it's just say 30mins in a van to me, rather than 3 hours (if they even deliver to Wales)..
                    have a look in ALDI as they now have fruit trees for £3.50,smaller but healthy looking..at that price even if they failed youve not lost a lot.

Comment

I had a gander, but as FB suggests due to my wet and windy climate/location I'd be better to varieities that grow indiginous to this area. The ones I'm ordering are only between a tenner and twenty notes each, and at the same time I can support Wales' economy too (as well as supporting recuing one variety)!

I don't like to buy fruit trees/bushes that are from europe, after I bought my soft fruit I took it back after a subsequent trip I found out they were all from holland! Nowt against the euros like, but would rather than UK based produce. No one in Aldi, nor Lidl know where their stuff comes from.

But yes, I do agree £3.50 is a bargain- thanks for the heads up I'm sure many peeps will appreciate it!

Comment

Arghh, just seen this and they are only approx 25 mins from us, hubby will be gutted as we bought our trees online a month ago but we would probably have bought some of these local varieties instead. Will have a look next yr when we plan on buying some cordons and see if they have anything suitable

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X