Where can I put my raspberry canes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I put my raspberry canes?

We used to grow loads of raspberries on our small vegetable bed, doing very well.
    Sadly they got infected (raspberry beetle, I think) and I realised we couldn't keep growing them in the same place. Maybe it was a favour as it freed up some space in the veg bed but it's only recently that I've had time to try to sort the veg bed out.

Anyway, I really want to grow more rasberries and the only 'free' space in the garden is a long bed, about 5'/6'wide in front of a well trimmed leylandii hedge (aah! I know - Leylandii ) but we do need it!

I've cleared the bed of the shrubs, bulbs and odd perennials that were in it. Do you think a row of raspberries would be OK near the rear of it if I gave them plenty of compost and TLC or must I try to find some other gap in a long, narrow town garden with lots of shade from neighbouring houses and overlarge trees?

Oh wonderful grapes, your sage advice is sought!
    Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Rasps don't mind a bit of shade or the cool (they do very well in Scotland), but they don't like dry roots. The hedge might be a challenge for them?

I mulch mine every year with layers of wet newspaper, held down with soil
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes,it's the dryness that was worrying me - BUT, if they're sufficiently in front of it and I use your wet newspaper idea...?
      Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

Hi Granny. Very nasty indeed is the raspberry beetle and can be a pig to get rid of. Derris used to be used but is now withdrawn. If you are not an organic grower then Bifenthrin is the thing to use, a contact insecticide. Even if moving the site and putting in new canes I would give them a 'go' with that as a precaution. If you are organic I know you can get traps but have never used them so don't know if they work. Some other grape may know. The good news is that rasps do not need long hours of sunlight so you are probably OK just about anywhere. Good luck and keep us informed.
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Sorry -it's me again!

I did wonder about planting the canes in a circle and tying them together at the top - like a runner bean wigwam - and then I wouldn't need to plant them in a long line and could avoid the fence. Is that a silly idea?

Comment

How would you pick the fruit that's inside the teepee?
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

With care?
              Probably need quite a space between the canes - perhaps it is a daft idea. I did say I needed your sage advice!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X