Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a beginner plse help with my rhubarb!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a beginner plse help with my rhubarb!

Hello Friends

Hands up! I'm a total novis to gardening

I have bought 3 rhubarb crowns to plant off ebay and although they are strong enough they are just babies and I do not have the confidence to plant them in my garden, as I feel something might happen to them over the winter.

I am in a new build property so we are starting our garden from scratch..... also our soil is very clay-like so would appreciate any help.

Many thanks

Maddy
    xxx

Hi Maddy - the expert grapes will be along any minute now to advise you! In the meantime you can take some advice from me - rhubarb crowns are very hardy. So much so that forcing them entails digging them up and putting them on top of the soil to get nicely frozen before planting them under the rhubarb forcer! So I think you have some time to dig over your rhubarb patch and prepare it with a bag of something nice and rich before putting your 3 plants in. Don't pick much in the first year - let them establish. From then on in it is rhubarb crumble!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Maddy.
      Dig some holes, plant your rhubarb crowns and stop worrying.
      Rhubarb is tough stuff and it will get on fine.
      The conventional wisdom is don't pick too much in the first year - but I've never found a way to defeat it. You'll have all the rhubarb you want.
      Relax and enjoy.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'm with Alice on this one. Get them planted. Dig some nice big holes, add some manure or compost and dig it in well to improve the drainage. Rhubarb crumble on the way.

Comment

Hiya Maddy. I'm no expert but here is what I did and it worked a treat. Dig over where you want to plant the rhubarb incorporating plenty of organic matter (garden compost / well rotted manure etc.) Remember the rhubarb will be in the same place for years so give it plenty. Also a good idea to add a little bone meal in order to promote good root growth. If your soil is clay it might be worth adding some sharp sad as you dig the bed over to help with drainage. Your rhubarb won't want to be sat with it's feet in cold water all winter.

As others have said, rhubarb is very hardy once established but it is worth taking the time to prepare the soil before planting.

Then it's just a case of looking forward to all those delicious rhubarb crumbles.
          It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X