No announcement yet.

A quickie about strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gah! There's so much to think about! It's making my head spin... and I love it!
    TS - Do other things not like a bit of compost too? I'm a bit ignorant on that front.

Sweetiepea - Organising and planning like this helps keep me sane when I can't get to the plot. It feels like I'm making progress at very least. With the planning underway I know that when I've got my first seed order in I'll be ready to jump right into action and not spend time head-scratching about where to put things.
    You should see the number of different potential plot layouts I've drawn up in AutoCAD when I've been "taking a break" (read "skiving off") from work! Trying out different bed widths, path widths and so on.

Shadylane - As far as I know, the bit of plot not being pressed into the main rotation has been sitting under a rather large pile of manure for at least a year and a bit. It should be really good, rich soil, weed free and certainly hasn't had spuds, toms, peppers or aubergine growing in it.

Comment

Compost is a great soil improver: ideally you'd be spreading it over the whole plot, but nobody has that much compost.
      So add it where it will do most good, as a mulch (don't dig it in, the worms prefer to do it themselves). I put it on the permanent beds, because they don't get the benefit of fresh soil (not being rotated).
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Decisions decisions!
        I dunno where to put it now! Haha.

I guess it'll be a while before my compost is ready to put on the plot though so I should have made my mind up by the time it's rotted down properly.

Comment

Try your local council / parks dept. I can get a black bag full of compost for around £1.50........it may be worth a few phone calls.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X