Planted Victoria Plum today.......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planted Victoria Plum today.......

The biggest pot I could find was a plastic dustbin!

I planted my bare rooted Victoria plum in it after first punching some holes in the botom with an old screwdriver.

It is quite large (8'0") and according to the bumph should grow to 14'0"

Do I need to prune it or anything?, or just sit back and wait for the plums to appear!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Don't prune it yet Snadger. You could end up introducing silver leaf which is a fungus that get in thru the cut surfaces. Wait til its growing & in leaf then prune it .
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

I inherited a Victoria Plum when I moved into my rented cottage. Didn't know what it was at the time, and someone had done a very bad job of cutting it down to size. Did a bit of tidying it up, and left it to see what would happen. Last year I got a few plums, nothing to write home about, but this year WOW!! I had to prop one of the branches up, it was so laden with fruit. In spite of middle daughter giving birth right in the middle of harvesting (and me losing a lot of time looking after her other two) we had loads of fresh plums. Also made plum chutney and plum sauce. Hope it's not biennial bearing - really looking forward to next year's crop.

Comment

how old is it snadger, and where did you get it? most trees bought from reliable source are either 3 or 7 years old, if they are 3 you proberbly need to wait a year or two for decent produce, and either way its proberbly been thro enouh stress this year, would leave pruning till next year after its got used to the move.
        Yo an' Bob
        Walk lightly on the earth
        take only what you need
        give all you can
        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
          how old is it snadger, and where did you get it? most trees bought from reliable source are either 3 or 7 years old, if they are 3 you proberbly need to wait a year or two for decent produce, and either way its proberbly been thro enouh stress this year, would leave pruning till next year after its got used to the move.
          Doesn't say how old it is on packaging but I would guess it was nearer three than seven! Think you and Nick are right, I'll let it get established before I dream of attacking it with pruners!
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

PS forgot to mention, I got it frome Homebase and they had quite a few other fruit trees. Got the apple and plum. I am hoping they won't sell the rest and reduce them to half price, when I may make a return visit!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

mmm good idea, might have to cheak it out, need another apple, what verieties are there?
              Yo an' Bob
              take only what you need
              give all you can

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
                mmm good idea, might have to cheak it out, need another apple, what verieties are there?
                The apple I got was Sunset, a self fertile Cox's clone! Greensleeves was there as well and a few more varieties who's name I can't remember.

There were two or three varieties of pear, same with plums and cherries!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

would love a cherry, will have to check it out.
                  ta.
                  Yo an' Bob
                  take only what you need
                  give all you can

Comment

To restrict vigour and promote better fruiting Snadg you can tie string to the main branches and bring them down and tie the other end of the string to the post. this forms big almost heart shapes and saves you havingto prune much to boot.

Comment

Hey..I got one for Xmas too!!!
                      Really chuffed!!!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

What a victoria plum or the tree
                        ntg

Comment

Read a lot from members on the forum about silverleaf with regard to Plum trees. Would be grateful for more info as I recently planted a victoria plum but some damage occurred in transit, requiring pruning.

How might this affect the tree and what should I do if it happens

much appreciated!
                          http://www.myspace.com/bayviewplot

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                            What a victoria plum or the tree
                            Oh you should know me by now Nick!!!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi BAy View

It does what it says on the tin THe leaves have a silvery dusting to them, but it won't affect the hole tree it's sort of progressive.

Have a look at this for more info

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ilver_leaf.asp
                              ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X