No announcement yet.

Strawberries from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've got alpines (baron solemacher from wilkinson) and a couple of temptations (also wilkinson) the alpines were from see and the temptations were seedlings in a plugpack. The alpines, sown from seed are now about 4 to a flower bucket and absolutely massive with hundreds of fruit. The temptations have both acted very differently, one of them produced 3 strawberries (very tasty) and has now produced 3 runners in year 1. The other temptation has grown a lot larger, no runners and is producing about 5 strawbs now. I've heard a lot about conventional wisdom with strawberries and i just thought to myself "sod it. i want my own wisdom, learned through experience".

as others have said, strawbs take forever as seedlings, but i've found that if you can get the crown to start rooting early, they'll take off like wildfire.
    Attached Files

Comment

I've had limited success growing alpine strawbs, I'm going to try harvesting seeds from the strawbs on my current plant and see if they germinate

Comment

I have had great success with strawberries from seed. The advantage is that it is far cheaper, and the plants are fresh, vigorous (after the slow start) and there is less risk of rotting as the big mistake with strawberries is replanting the crown too deep. Growing from seed minimises the replanting problem that one has when one buys in crowns. Forget buying plants from the garden centre: 6 plants for 7.99? I can get enough seed for 300+ plants for that! I have had success from self saved seed also: I slice an over ripe fruit and cover the slice with a little seed compost: eventually little seedlings appear, only problem is finding a fruit when the kids have been in the garden!

Comment

I planted some strawberry seeds in January indoors and after an enormous length of time they did germinate. The seedlings then sat and made very little progress indeed. In fact I gave up on them and bought some cheap plants from Aldi and Wilkinsons. We had some fruit from those plants but very early indeed and they have sent out runners all over the bed, so I am hoping that next year I should a good crop from them. However, the seed strawberries started to really grow in June and so I planted them out in tubs and they are now flowering and fruit is starting to set! I guess you just have to be patient! They were certainly much cheaper than the plants but haven't tasted the fruit yet.
          Incidentally I have wild strawberries all over the garden and can't get rid of the little b*ggers. Prolific aren't they!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X