Rhubarb Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb Rhubarb

I noticed the other day when we were down the plot that some of our Rhubarb crowns have started to sprout, throwing out a leaf and stem or two each!

Should it really be doing so at this time of year, or is it just down to the incredibly mild weather we've been having?

Is there any problem with it growing now, is it in danger of damaging the root system if we have a really cold snap?

Should we cut it back, or just leave it be?

Has anyone else noticed their Rhubarb growing now?

Any advice or opinions welcome!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

It won't get damaged by the cold Mrs D as my dad used to dig a chunk up & leave on the top of the soil to get frosted before he moved it into the greenhouse to force it - so it's tough!!

As to it growing, I guess it is the mild weather , my Californian lilac has been flowering off and on since October !!!
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

I've got sprouting rhubarb here too. I even have cuttings I took from other fruit plants (mainly blueberries) that are starting to bud up and look like they will leaf out soon. I have just had my first hail shower and have only had two or three mild frosts so far this autumn/winter. Mild but strangely miserable over here!

Comment

Don't cut it back, leave it and see what happens. Got all sorts of strange things going on down here in Suffolk. Bluebells starting to put leaves up! Green buds on the lilac

Comment

I'd leave well alone - let nature take its' course.

Don't worry about the frost - rhubarb originates from Siberia so is well used to it and actually needs it!!

Welshie

Comment

Cool, thanks for the replies guys n gals! Looks like I'll leave it well alone, with the crazy weather at the moment we may even get an extra early crop!! Hmm, now where did I put that rhubarb schnapps recipe?
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Here in the famous Yorkshire Rhubarb triangle where it is used for starter - main and desert courses we know a thing or two about this great vegetable.

Before the crowns are put in the forcing sheds they are left exposed to the frost so I don't think you have anything to worry about Mrs D. If you want an early sweet crop don't forget to force the blighters.
              Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Had a look at my rhubarb (I got it from another grape ) and yes, it does have noses up. I'm not worried about it. It's perfectly hardy and I'm confident it will have no problem getting through the winter. Yours will be fine too.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

My rhubarb hasn't shown any signs of life yet but it's true what everyone says that it needs a bit of frost on the crown. I think Digger-07 has come up with a great idea, why don't you try forcing some by covering the crown of one plant with an old bucket with a hole cut in the bottom or something similar- lovely yummy pink forced rhubarb!
                  Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

You don't need a hole in your bucket unless you're in pantoland.
                    Digger-07

Comment

Oh yes you do
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by Digger-07 View Post
                        Here in the famous Yorkshire Rhubarb triangle where it is used for starter - main and desert courses we know a thing or two about this great vegetable.

Before the crowns are put in the forcing sheds they are left exposed to the frost so I don't think you have anything to worry about Mrs D. If you want an early sweet crop don't forget to force the blighters.
                        Rhubarb as starter and main course???? Mr D is a rejected Yorkshireman (he hails from Hull originally) and has never mentioned about using rhubarb for starters or main course, I'm now intrigued! Do please post us all some recipies Digger!

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                        Had a look at my rhubarb (I got it from another grape ) and yes, it does have noses up. I'm not worried about it. It's perfectly hardy and I'm confident it will have no problem getting through the winter. Yours will be fine too.
                        Thanks Alice! Much appreciated!

Originally posted by SueA View Post
                        My rhubarb hasn't shown any signs of life yet but it's true what everyone says that it needs a bit of frost on the crown. I think Digger-07 has come up with a great idea, why don't you try forcing some by covering the crown of one plant with an old bucket with a hole cut in the bottom or something similar- lovely yummy pink forced rhubarb!
                        Just may have to try that Sue, thanks! Wots with the hole in the top, is it there for light, or ventilation or is it not entirely necessary?
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

I'll check my rhubarb at the weekend. A few weeks ago it had all but died back after the frosts we had.

As far as mild is concerned, my sweet violet has started to flower!!!
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Mrs D, look in the Season to taste site. Give my condolences to Mr D for his time in exile but I'm sure his missionary work will be justified in the end.
                            Digger-07

Comment

'There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza....'- Digger-07 (hope you know the song or you'll think I'm mad!)
                              I think I was told to put a hole in the bucket when I tried this years ago to provide ventilation as rhubarb forcers are usually terracotta & can breathe a bit. Don't think it makes any difference though, some people stuff straw around the crown before they cover it for extra insulation & if you use a plastic bucket you might need to put a brick or something on top to stop it blowing away.
                              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X