grapevine woes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grapevine woes

I have had a black hamburg grapevine in a cold greenhouse for four years now and have yet to see any fruit on it . I get plenty of growth but no flowers or fruit. could anyone shed any light on my particular problem ? any suggestions greatly appreciated. cheers

I can only assume it;s the way you are pruning it Woodfettler as Hamburgh is usually OK. Was it a cutting when you got it or was it a plant you bought?

The usual practice is to plant it outside & then train it into the greenhouse. Have you done this?

Welcome to the vine anyway.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

I know one of the other allotment holders on our plot has a vine, I'm sure he said it was a Hamburg when he gave us some wonderful black grapes a couple of months ago! I know he has his growing outside the greenhouse, then entering through a window and trailing right along his roof space (its a 16' long greenhouse!). When we asked him about why it was growing outside he said the vine needed the frost in order to properly fruit, so if yours is inside the greenhouse it may be that they arent getting cold enough, perhaps leaving the dfoors open if there's a frost predicted may help (tho only if you havent anything in there that would be killed by the frost). Hope this is of some help!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
        I can only assume it;s the way you are pruning it Woodfettler as Hamburgh is usually OK. Was it a cutting when you got it or was it a plant you bought?

The usual practice is to plant it outside & then train it into the greenhouse. Have you done this?

Welcome to the vine anyway.
        thanks very much for the warm welcome Nick ,i bought the plant at the local garden centre ,it would seem from your reply (and another ) it needs to be planted outside ,it is planted in the border of an unheated greenhouse and frost does get it a bit . I have followed rhs pruning instuctions to the letter but still no joy maybe its time to try a different variety thanks again
        mike

Comment

Oh, sorry Woodfettler, I forgot, a warm welcome to the vine too!
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
            I know one of the other allotment holders on our plot has a vine, I'm sure he said it was a Hamburg when he gave us some wonderful black grapes a couple of months ago! I know he has his growing outside the greenhouse, then entering through a window and trailing right along his roof space (its a 16' long greenhouse!). When we asked him about why it was growing outside he said the vine needed the frost in order to properly fruit, so if yours is inside the greenhouse it may be that they arent getting cold enough, perhaps leaving the dfoors open if there's a frost predicted may help (tho only if you havent anything in there that would be killed by the frost). Hope this is of some help!
            thanks for the tips Mrs D have tried all your suggestions to no avail !I think the compost bin is calling and a new vine needed which is a shame as this one is trained all round my greenhouse . oh well thanks anyway Mike

Comment

Originally posted by woodfettler View Post
              thanks for the tips Mrs D have tried all your suggestions to no avail !I think the compost bin is calling and a new vine needed which is a shame as this one is trained all round my greenhouse . oh well thanks anyway Mike
              thanks for the welcome

Comment

Can't help much more then Mike. The usuall practice is to plant the roots outside & have the vine growing inside.

WHat you can do is replace a pane of glass with either pastic or wood & cut a hole in it then use some of the pipe insulation to line the hole & stop the bark getting cut.

Click image for larger version

Name:	glass-800.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	2318147

this keeps the roots cool & moist but the fruits (the bit your interested in) nice & warm.

It could be that the flowers aren't getting pollentated so the fruits don't set - no grapes. So when the flowers are around you can either open the vents & doors & try and encourage insects in to do it for you or get some plain maggots from the loccal fishing takle shop & let them hatsh in the greenhouse as these make efficient pollenators & don't sting
                ntg

Comment

We have a black hamburgh planted outside and trained inside our unheated greenhouse.

How old is your vine? They don't usually fruit until they're about 3 years old, and even then it can take another couple of years to "get going".

We prune ours in the depths of winter, as it'll "bleed" otherwise. If you're going to move the vine, do it when it's dormant, from about now onwards (i.e it should have no leaves/shoots etc)

I found the RHS guidelines way confusing, and ended up getting a general book on soft fruits, which included grapes, which probably tells me the same thing, but is simplified!

Hope this helps a little!

Comment

thanks to evertyone who has helped in my woes .I think I will give it one more year using all of your suggestions if it fails it is death to the vine !!Thanks again to everyone who replied and for all the warm welcomes received. regards Mike

Comment

Pruning conservatory grapevine

This is not really a reply, but a call for help.

I have a conservatory built against the east wall of a sunny house. In the south-west corner is a "flower bed" containing a grapevine planted as a 3 foot stem in February 2004. It has deep rooted, and spread right across the polystyrene roof of the conservatory, an area approximately 7 foot deep by 12 foot long. It is not self-pollinating. I have struggled to find out how and when to prune it, in the hopes of pollinating it in the spring of 2007 and having some grapes (green). The temperature is not allowed to drop below 15 degrees C, because of the large range of tropical and semi tropical plants growing in the conservatory. It gets up to about 40 degrees C when the sun is shining, but we have never lost anything through lack of water or heat.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me how and when to prune, and if you need more information in oder to answer. Thank you in advance.

Anna C (annac)

Comment

Hi Anna C!

Sorry I cant really offer much in the way of advice, but a warm welcome to the madhouse known as the vine! I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable grapes will be along with some advice shortly!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Hi Annac welcome to the Vine,

Your obviously doing something right if it made so much growth. I guess the self pollenating bit is easy. I imagine it will need some insects to do this bit for it & the time of flowering you might have the conservatory still shut up keeping the other plants want . If there are no flowers to polenate, well thats a different kettle of fish (strange saying that).

One problem you may have is with the temperature nit dropping below 15c it's still growing as it doesn't reallise winters here so qwhen you prune it it could well bleed ( loose sap from the cuts).

As to how to prune it, I would have a look at this & see if it helps you. If not come back & if it does ... come back anyway!!!

http://www.ag.unr.edu/wsj/Factsheets/grapes.pdf
                          ntg

Comment

http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/gra...cs.htm#toppage
                            Theres another link for vine pruning .Its an American site but its good information.
                            BTW welcome anna c
                            There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by woodfettler View Post
                              I have had a black hamburg grapevine in a cold greenhouse for four years now and have yet to see any fruit on it . I get plenty of growth but no flowers or fruit. could anyone shed any light on my particular problem ? any suggestions greatly appreciated. cheers
                              Vine leaves are supposed to be quite tasty Mike!
                              I would give it another chance and in the mean time look for some vine leaf recipes on the net!

Welcome to THIS Vine btw!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X