Favourite Strawberry

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Strawberry

What's your favourite strawberry? I've been looking through the catalogues at all the varieties wondering which ones to buy. I've already got some Hapil waiting to go in a bed but want to buy some others. I have been looking at Mae, Alice, Florence and Tenira. Has anyone grown any of these? Which ones are the best - both for flavour and for resistance to pests and diseases? I'm sitting here drooling at the thought of strawberries and cream and the OH is putting the cover on the windscreen for the expected harsh frost tonight

I've got Alice & Florence & they are OK..

But my favourites of all time are Royal Sovereign & Cambridge Favourite but they are Old varieties & they don't crop as heavily & probably aren't as disease resistant as modern ones but the flavour is to die for.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Thanks Nick - to be honest I'm not too bothered about quantity, I'd rather have flavour so I might get one of the older varieties.

Comment

Hello Martini, I haven't grown strawberries for quite a while (but going back to it this year). I used to grow a variety called Sovereign (not sure about the Royal bit) and they were great. Very disease resistant and great flavour. I would give them a go.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice - I will. I can't wait to taste strawberries the way I remember them as a child. My uncle used to grow them - no idea what they were but I can still 'taste' them - and that was 40 years ago!

Comment

I don't know what variety mine are but they are so good that I refuse to buy supermarket strawberries. That means we get three weeks strawbs mid-june onwards (just in time for Miss E's birthday - always go down well) and little else. They crop well and can get quite large.
            Bright Blessings
            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Elan. Wins hands down. I bought a couple of each of about 6 varieties this year. These were the very last and latest to fruit and were absolutely wonderful. worth waiting for. I'll get more next year definitely. All the others were nice too but none really stuck out. Although one ( can't remember which) was a bit of a waste of time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X