No announcement yet.

Raspberry Care

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol LJ! If there's too much I'll just drop some off with your OH at work and let you deal with the glut!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I have tons of fruit aswell Mrs D.!!!
      [

Comment

This year I had 8 "sticks" of summer fruiters from I'm not sure how many plants and got (checks Excel file) just over 2 kilos of fruit. I think they're too close together so perhaps if done properly could get more.

So, by my calculations, you're looking at at least 22 kilos, or 46-odd pounds in old money. Raspberry cordial, raspberry jam, raspberry ice cream, raspberry yogurt, raspberry vodka, etc, etc

Comment

did someone say vodka...
          Bex

Comment

Possible 46lb!!!!!!!!!! Thats a whole freezer full of rasps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thud!

Anyone got any raspberry recipies???????

Wonder if its possible to make a raspberry curry? Raspberry chilli? Chicken stuffed with raspberrys?
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
              I'd check Hessayon but a friend has it as well as my other fruit book, no wonder I can't find them. Memory def going. Must need a glass of wine. I've heard that can help prevent Alzheimers (good enough excuse for me).
              Yeah, put your feet up as well...just go and retrieve your slippers from the microwave first! LOL
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

On the strawberry plant front, I know it is advised to not use three year old plants, but..........a three year old plant crown has multiple heads. I have seperated the individual plantlets and replanted them with some success, much as you would do with a rooted runner.

I think the idea is that, because of viral problems it is best to start afresh every three or four years but from an original purchase of 6 plants of different species two years ago(to prolong cropping period) I now have two beds 15'0" X 4'0" of very healthy looking plants and will only get rid of them completely if I get a reduced crop (which I don't expect!)
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Cheers Snadger!

There are one or two plants that look as tho they are ready to be split, and were still fruiting this year, so think I may try that if we need some more to fill the bed we are putting them in!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                    Cheers Snadger!

There are one or two plants that look as tho they are ready to be split, and were still fruiting this year, so think I may try that if we need some more to fill the bed we are putting them in!
                    Don't let any of the purists know or else I'll get it right in the neck!

Sorry about highjacking your 'Raspberry' thread and rabbiting on about strawberries btw!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thats ok Snadger, we've been working on both the fruits for the past couple of days, so any advice on either fruit is more than welcome!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Just looked up Dr Hessayon's calculations for you:-
                        Summer raspberries average yield 4.5 lbs per yard of a row.
                        Autumn raspberries average yield 1.5 lbs per yard of row.
                        Strawberries average between 6 & 24 ounces per plant.
                        This is working on the principle of planting raspberry plants at a spacing of 1 1/2 ft apart (plants, not individual canes which are much closer when they come up) so maybe you can calculate how much fruit you'll get by the length of your rows - probably quite a lot! Maybe 'Raspberry' Schnapps as well as the infamous GYO Forum 'Rhubarb' Schnapps?
                        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Someone mention rhubarb schnapps????
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
                            ...planting raspberry plants at a spacing of 1 1/2 ft apart...
                            1 1/2 feet apart! Mine are definitely too close!

Comment

I put mine in 2 foot apart. If you have the room to give them extra space it makes picking the fruit easier.
                              [

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
                                Just looked up Dr Hessayon's calculations for you:-
                                Summer raspberries average yield 4.5 lbs per yard of a row.
                                Autumn raspberries average yield 1.5 lbs per yard of row.
                                Strawberries average between 6 & 24 ounces per plant.
                                This is working on the principle of planting raspberry plants at a spacing of 1 1/2 ft apart (plants, not individual canes which are much closer when they come up) so maybe you can calculate how much fruit you'll get by the length of your rows - probably quite a lot! Maybe 'Raspberry' Schnapps as well as the infamous GYO Forum 'Rhubarb' Schnapps?
                                Thanks SueA, that was good of you to look it up for us!

So, we've about 12 yards of autumn fruiting rasps and about 6 yards of summer fruiting, so once they've settled in I think we can hope for something like 30 to 40lb of rasps!

Not bad for something that was already on the plot when we got it, kind of like a freebie! In fact, the rasp harvest on its own should more than 'pay' for the plot rental for the year (if we had to pay shop prices for the fruit that is!)

Way cool! I'm gonna be very impressed if we do get that much from just one type of fruit, although we planned the plot to GYO veg for the exercise and taste improvements over bought produce, if it can effectively save money like that I know we will both be very pleased!
                                Blessings
                                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X