Fig Tree

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig Tree

Bought a Fig Tree over the weekend from a local nursery, I went with a cheapy at £8, the main stem has been cut off at approx 1foot high but it has lots of side branches, however am I right in thinking it wont actually get any/much higher considering the main stem is cut off at 1foot? just seems strange and a bit silly having such a small tree?!

Any help would be appreciated.

The main stem wont realy grow more, but the branches on top will grow higher, more like a bush than a standard or half standard shape tree, you can form a framework from the main trunk to give main branches outwards , to give a goblet shape bush/mini standard making the trunk a fork shape into say 3-4 branches, then grow more branches from the ends of them at another 1-2 foot long, it can still get quite big if you let it
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Thanks, will give that a try, shame I did'nt think about it a little more as I wanted more a tree than a bush type but I will make good of it.

**Oh is it best to keep the roots pot/container restriced or will it being a bush be ok straight in the ground?
      Last edited by Hinksy; 25-05-2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

hinksy,
        restricting the roots is a good idea also dont plant it in soil thats too rich as you will be rewarded with lots of leaves and no fruit! they need good drainage as well
        so basically get an old metal cystern, bash the base out and bury it against a south facing wall, fill with a mix of normal topsoil and builders rubble, plant and enjoy!!

Comment

A large pot with some John Innes number 2 works well, especially if you stand them on a hard surface so they can't root through the bottom. You can train one of the side shoots upwards (if that makes sense) so that it looks more tree-like, but I have two that are growing in 18 inch pots on the patio, they're fan-trained(ish) and they produce lots of lovely fruit now, although it did take a while. They were 'rescues' (ie, half dead and on sale for £3.50) so I can't complain.
          Last edited by bluemoon; 30-05-2009, 07:22 PM.
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X