Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Tree Planting

Hi
    Lots of daft questions no doubt but can you help. I've got two apples in big 50litre containers that can now go in the ground. I've been reading previous threads so know to dig a big hole and keep the apple at the same depth as it is now, add ,BFB and some compost, dig hole and leave to settle before planting etc. My questions are do I need to stake them, I haven't staked them in the pots as the suppliers (Victoriana) said not to get them to strengthen but I see that staking is being advised on the threads and can I cover the surrounding area with mulching plastic and bark chips to keep the weeds down? Would obviously leave a space round the trunk.
    Sue

If you're planting them in open ground and you have a windy site, it would be best to stake them until the roots have got well into the ground.

Are they bush, standard, or what?

I wouldn't personally use plastic to mulch as it stops the rain getting into the ground around the trees, but I should think an organic mulch such as bark chips would be OK. My daughter has found, however, that if you mulch with bark chippings you can get some strange mushroom-type growths when it starts to break down. Bit worrying, especially with trees and honey fungus

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
      Hi
      Lots of daft questions no doubt but can you help. I've got two apples in big 50litre containers that can now go in the ground. I've been reading previous threads so know to dig a big hole and keep the apple at the same depth as it is now, add ,BFB and some compost, dig hole and leave to settle before planting etc. My questions are do I need to stake them, I haven't staked them in the pots as the suppliers (Victoriana) said not to get them to strengthen but I see that staking is being advised on the threads and can I cover the surrounding area with mulching plastic and bark chips to keep the weeds down? Would obviously leave a space round the trunk.
      Sue
      Hi Sue,

The reason they say don't stake them is the movement of the trunk will strenghten it up (bit like excercise really) how ever ever the difference is planting them now you want to support the tree to allow the roots to establish & if it keeps rocking in the wind it wont.

The best compromise if to put your stake in at about 45 degrees (Preferably into the prevailing wind) & tie the tree to this with some really good tree ties. If you aim to be about 1/3 of the way up the trunk it means it will hold the rootball steady but let the top move & strengthen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	staking.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	2318103

As too mulching personaly I wouldn't bother as bark chips will remove nitrogen from the soil as they break down till they are fully composted. If you want to suppress weeds put a square of membrane down then surround it with pots & tubs, that way they'l help hide the stake & act as a mulch to retain moisture & will look a lot better than bark.
      Last edited by nick the grief; 04-11-2006, 07:45 PM.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X