Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit Tree Positioning

Hi guys

The back seems to be on the mend and i'm formulating my plans for the new allotment. I would like to have a lot of fruit on this plot.

The polytunnel is the only thing that is currently ont he plot. The rest is all weeds and grass atm. This is what I have planned so far:

What i'd like to know is if the fruit trees are ok to be planted on the edge of the plot infront of the brambles. Also will this cause a problem with shading? The plot runs roughly north south.

Also which form would be best here? Will fans be better in this space? or espalier?

Any help much apprecieated.

Espaliers would be good Wizer, fans are normally Cherries & the like & a bit more time consuming.

You don't have to have huge espaliers though 6ft High max & they won't block too much light out & you've got space for about 10 or 12 I would think in 22m. They'll only cast light shade in the morning & from miday on the plot will be in sun. Does the Bramble have to stay cos if you could loos that you couls have a path both sides of the apples

I migh be tempted to move the fruit cage nearer the shed as it may shade the polytunnel a bit but it depends how high it is I guess & the covering.

Apart from that Looks OK.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

cheers nick

The Brambles can be hacked back a bit, infact the guy in charge intimated that the more I cut them back the more land I can use. 10 plants will probably be too much. I wanted at least 2 eating apples, 1 cooking apple, 1 pear, 1 plum and maybe a cherry. Can they all be espaliered? How wide does an espalier spread? Can they overlap?

I guess the fruit cage could go up by the shed. The only thing I thought would be nice is to sit out on the patio area and survey my 'estate'.

Comment

GET RID OF THE BRAMBLES! Evil things, spread over and underground, produce very little, cut you to bits every time you go near them, cut out the light, use all the food - need I say more. How many blackberries do you need?

Much better edging to the plot would be espalier fruit trees.

Hope the back continues to improve

Comment

I'd keep the brambles but just tame them a bit. Try training them on wires the other side of the patch bit like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bramble.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	2318091
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

the brambles are part of the allotment boundary and can not be completely removed. I see what you mean nick, however the brambles are about 12 deep and a complete jungle. I think it will be the biggest annual job on this new plot, cutting back the brambles!

Comment

we are only allowed espallier on our lottie & then only with written permission from the council, might be worth checking before you plant
              Lets teach kids to cook.

Comment

thanks KG, I have permission from the committee. It's right on the boundary so will not overshadow other plots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X