Saskatoon Berry

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saskatoon Berry

Did anyone see Beechgrove Garden during the week. Jim McColl was planting Saskatoon Berries - has anyone got them in their garden/allotment? I've found a supplier - Buckingham Nurseries. My idea is to grow them as edible hedging. Your ideas/experiences please

I'd never heard of these, but after googling I've discovered they're Amelanchier. I won an Amelanchier Lamarkii tree, but gave it to the local school when I discovered how tall it was going to get!
    I'm not sure that is a variety that is particularly heavy fruiting, but some as hedging could be fun. (Might go and pinch a few berries to try from the one in playing field now though...)
    Just keep it well pruned!

HMK

Comment

This site's very good for comparing the different types of amelanchier for edible use
      Amelanchier - Plants For A Future database search

I've got amelanchier spicata as it's only supposed to grow to 2m but only just got it a few months ago and it's not flowered yet so think I'll have to wait until next year to try it.
      Amelanchier Lamarkii is meant to be one of the nicest fruit so worth having a taste

use Royal Horticultural Society – RHS Plant Finder for finding suppliers of some of the more unusual ones
      Last edited by purplekat; 03-05-2009, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I'd never even heard of it, but might have to do a bit of research now. That's the trouble with me and berries. I see. I want.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I know Bluemoon, I can't help myself either

Comment

Ooooh, these are now on my list
            Frostyfreckle how are your wonderberry plants doing?

Comment

Badly Coomber, very, very, very badly Not one seed germinated! Please tell me your seeds germinated

Comment

Yep I've got 10 plants in the greenhouse, all are flowering and two have fruit on
                I had none germinate the first try, so put the rest of the seed in and a few came up.

Comment

Well at least I know it wasn't the seeds but my killer fingers

Comment

Seems to have lots of names. It's plant of the week in the Daily Mail on Saturday and they've called it a Juneberry. We're thinking to getting it for hedging too having seen the Buckingham Nurseries site. As for size I've seen everything from 2m up to 15m from other sites like Gardening Express and Crocus. Guess it's how you prune it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X