Fruit trees to make step overs ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit trees to make step overs ?

I was thinking of making some step over type fruit trees (I'm sure there is a more technical name for them) I have only seen it done with apples. Given that I have more than enough apple trees in the garden I was wondering what other fruit trees would be suitable for this kind of treatment ? The intention was twofold, one to create a sort of fence next a steepish part of my garden and the other to try out training a tree as Ive never done it. Any suggestions ? would it work for plums/quinces/peaches ?
    Thanks x

Apples have the best characteristics and rootstocks to be grown as stepovers, but I suppose that a pear, on Quince C (or other dwarfing) rootstock would be OK.
    Training is easy; just direct the flexible green shoots in the direction you want them to grow and tie to a cane. Extreme bends on branches risk breakage, so are sometimes best when done in two stages.

Comment

Thanks FB, I'm having a mooch in the nurseries today so I will see whats bendy at the mo.
      x

Comment

Hmm not a lot at my local nursery, mostly apples and a couple of pears with not so bendy branches. I may have to wait until the autumn and buy bare rooted stock as the trees are £35 each and I want to plant about 6 ! Bother !!

Comment

In autumn, many nurseries sell off their "container-grown" "old stock" at half price. In fact, buying the old stock is a very good idea; they are well-grown and the timing is ideal for the autumn rooting season (when most root growth occurs).
          Get them planted in early September immediately before the leaves start to fall and they'll soon start growing a good set of roots in September-October, for the following year. Most root growth happens while the trees are leafless.

Last edited by FB.; 14-04-2009, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X