Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grape vine pruning

Hi guys

Does anyone know how soon before I can prune my vine? I know that if it's too early, it will "bleed", but I don't know when the right time is!

Also, do the leaves fall off the vine themselves, or do I have to clip them off when pruning?

Thanks!

OWG

Hi O.W.G., I have an outdoor grapevine over an arch which I prune in late winter, around end of Jan/beg.Feb., anytime when they are not actively growing is O.K. The leaves shrivel & drop during autumn on mine so I assume that is normal on outdoor vines & probably the same on indoors.
    Last edited by SueA; 14-10-2006, 08:46 AM. Reason: Just checked my diaries & changed the dates I gave!
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I agree, late Dec/Jan time for vines outdoors when they are dormant. Cut it back quite brutally for fruiting or lighter for coverage. You will be surprised how fast it will grow back next year.
      Last edited by monkeybum; 15-10-2006, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Yes I do agree with the last two posts. I used to have a vine in the greenhouse and I always made a point of pruning on the day after Boxing Day. It was a good way of gently working off the excesses You can also prune the soft shoots if there is too much growth. The rule here is that if it won't snap easily don't cut it leave it alone.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Apparently you can use the prunings to make wine!!
          Wife, mother, reader, writer, digger so much to do so little time to do it! Follow me on Twitter @digdigdigging

Comment

I read that you can prune the laterils back to 4-6 leaves ( fruiting flowers) and use the prunings for wine never tried it with the old vine at the other house.
            But at new house have a white up the kitchen wall and hope to grow a black in greenhouse bought one and found a old cutting of black hamburg growing how lucky am I.

Comment

Vines in pots?

Hi,
              new to to forum and to vines.
              Have bought a couple of french vines for table grapes and want to grow them over a pergola here in central france.
              Trouble is I need to grow them in Pots. Does anyone have any idea on the pot size. I was thinking a square pot about 50cms across, with drainage holes in the bottom, sand and then a light compost.
              Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.
              I really don't want to wait till next year just to watch them fade and die.
              cheers
              Pete (hank)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X