No announcement yet.

raspberry canes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberries won't show up for a while yet, however, you can scrape off the top soil and you will see the new runners but in this cold, would you come up?
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

fair point Andrew!!

Comment

They're supposed to be roughty tufty plant bred in Scotland Andrew! I guess they will be a bit before they show. Mine hasn't yet, mind you it's been in a pot for 2 years it is a v.big pot though
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Yes Me And I Ordered A Red Gooseberry To

Comment

Going back to the point everyone's making about their raspberries not yet appearing above ground... I can't remember when mine appeared last year, but I know it certainly wasn't yby this time in the year.

I remember being disappointed and thinking they had not taken but they came up.... I think they also got a tad confused as they fruited early summer and again in autumn, which struck me as odd for autumn fruiting canes...

Sit tight and stay patient, I'm sure they'll come through...
            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

if I look VERY closely at mine it is almost possible to imagine that the buds on the stem might JUST be swelling a little bit... could be wishful thinking of course!

Comment

Welcome New To The Plot. If your fruit canes and gooseberry bush still havenot arrived send Neil Martin an e mail.His address is neil.martin@aceville.co.uk He will sort it out for you.
                [

Comment

Of my 3 free raspberry canes 2 are still just bare twigs but 1 has started sprouting shoots and leaves from around the base. There's nothing resembling buds at all on any of the stems though. I just put them in a large tub of compost with a bit of chicken manure when they arrived & am hoping for the best!
                  Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

think I was being very optimistic imagining buds swelling. they still look very sticky to me. which prompts my favourite joke - what's brown and sticky?
                    a stick!

Comment

I've got buds starting on a few of my canes (just!)
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My Autumn bliss are just showing new shoots, but in the fruit cage things are really breaking out. especially the Blackcurrants.

Comment

Just checked my raspberry canes again & there are a couple of buds on the bottom of the 2 canes that loooked dead & more shoots coming up around the other so it looks promising.
                          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hi SueA

Mine too, so 've obviuosly not totally killed them in their move!

I'm tasting the fruit already. Yum
                            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

raspberry canes

I just managed to get to my allotment yesterday to cut down last years autumn fruiting rasps( I am a working mum of 3 if that's an excuse). I know that this job should have been done about 4 weeks ago and this was ver apparent as the canes were starting to bud - I cut them down anyway. Have I completely decimated any chance of a crop this year?

fiona b

Comment

All my raspberries are budding now and I've put them on a new frame but when cutting the wire I accidently cut one in half - blast!
                                Best wishes
                                Andrewo
                                Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X