Red currant & rasberry

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red currant & rasberry

Hi, we bought a red currant and a rasberry bush from the local nurseries last week and have planted them each in their own 40 litre planters. The plants were both about 18" high and had lots of green leaves on them with the red currant even having a few small currants developing.

However, all of the guides I've read say you should prune them back after planting so that they can focus on establishing their roots. Is this the case for these bushes though, or for the ones you buy which look like a bare stick.

These two we bought came in pots about 4" square and 10" deep if that makes any difference.

It seems daft to deliberately damage the fruit bush at the beginning of the growing season, far better leave the plant as is, let it settle in, feed and water and enjoy the few currants that you get. It's your plant; you make the rules, you are growing for pleasure after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Wizard View Post
      It seems daft to deliberately damage the fruit bush at the beginning of the growing season, far better leave the plant as is, let it settle in, feed and water and enjoy the few currants that you get. It's your plant; you make the rules, you are growing for pleasure after all.
      Well said WW........I agree wholeheartedly!!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Okay thanks. I'll leave them. The Gooseberry, Blackcurrant and two Blueberries were just left to their own devices and are coming along great this year.

Comment

I have just inherited a lottie that has loads of very large redcurrant bushes on it. Do I prune them? or leave them? If I do prune them, how far back? They are 4ft plus at the moment.

Comment

It's too late to prune currants now because the bushes will be in full flower so you'll just be cutting off all of your fruit. Better to leave until the winter when you can reduce their size. Red and white currants fruit on old wood so don't cut too much off in one go or you won't get much the following year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X