No announcement yet.

Is my rhubarb ready to pick ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks pretty similar to mine. I was hoping to pick some this weekend.

Glut, I've only ever had it cooked too. Might try it straight from the plant dipped in sugar this year as suggested by Alison, if I don't have to cook it.

Comment

id leave 2 more weeks so theres a bit more on them to enjoy. i grow mine for my mum dad and hubby dont like it my self but my growing effort appreciated my varieties are unknown as was given the crowns from a friend but apparently its a nice variety said those who have eaten it!!!!

Comment

Some can be a bit sharp raw, but its nice! Give it a go
        Cant wait to try some of my new crowns, going to try and only take a few stalks this year to give them a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by glut View Post
          I have two crowns. One (Timberlay) looks pretty much like yours, and the other (Victoria) is much further behind and only has one tiny leaf. I planted the Timberlay as I had read it was an early. Perhaps that is the type you have Norburger? Now, here is the depth of my ignorance. I have never had fresh rhubarb except that which has occasionally been put in a pie by someone else. Can I eat it without cooking it? (Alison Adams your comment made me think you could?!)
          Hi im new to the whole growing things but do know it's not 'Timberlay' early but Timperley early. Timperley is a place a mile or so from Altrincham, about 8miles south of Manchester, and is in Cheshire. I grew up there so only ever knew Rhubarb from my parents garden.
          Have a look here A Taste of Trafford for a bit of info.
          I have to admit having my own place now in Sheffield i dont actually have any 'home' rhubarb, just a single crown a friend gave us from their plot. Next time over to see Mum, i think ill split a crown as hers has been there for over 30yrs now.

Comment

Hi Pete...and welcome to the Vine!!

I'm from the Timperley area too

Guess what we have growing in our garden over here in France
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I used to be 5mins from Batmans, mid way between the Gardeners Arms and the Moss Trooper.

I gave my Rhubarb a bit of a tug last night but thought better of it. If i pull it I will have to eat it all

Once its has been pulled what is the best way to store it and for how long??

Im going to have to make a load of pastry and make some pies to freeze this year.

I used to make Womble crumble (I had a womble cook book as a kid) I used the rhubarb and apples from the cooker tree in mums garden. Was very sad when it had to be cut down 2yrs ago due to canker. Most houses on the road had fruit trees, so we would all swap, pears, apples, damsons (mmmm damson jam).

Pete

Comment

You don't have to pull it all at once. Just take enough to use and enjoy now. I pulled my first this morning and can't wait to get home to turn it into something yummy! I'm not sure how long it lasts once pulled - a few days perhaps?? We always use ours the same day.
                A good beginning is half the work.
                Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

I just love the way I can nip out after my tea and grab a stick, chop it up sprinkle in sugar in the microwave for a min or so... bingo fresh pudding

Pete

Comment

Just picked 2KGs of rubarb, it now in the deep freeze except for a bowl full in the fridge.

Even more to come.

Happy Days.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X