Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
    yeah but you'll never eat another berry straight from the bush will you
    Yep first reaction is disgust, but it just goes to show what you don't see don't hurt. Plus I could just have maggot free fruit, as even fruit not eaten until the next day, has not shown any signs of worms or maggots.

Anyway they eat worse in Celebrity Jungle, kangaroo meat and 2 veg!

So I've decided I shall carry on eating straight from the plant and just do my usual quality check, as I grow so much fruit I'm usually fussy on what I keep anyway.

Helps to be dottie.

Comment

I may take longer than my usual cursory look but I will also carry on eating straight from the plant.
      If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

the maggot you find in blackberries is the larvae of the Raspberry Beetle
        Royal Horticultural Society - Gardening Advice: Raspberry Beetle
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 05-02-2009, 07:41 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oh, it doesn't matter. It's just more protein!
          Best wishes
          Andrewo
          Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Yeah, but it's not vegetarian protein
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have never bothered looking at blackberries before and just eaten them. There is a similar problem with wild field mushrooms in that they can often have maggots in them.

Ian

Comment

*decides never to eat wild field mushrooms either

Comment

I often find blowflies - bluebottles - bumbling about round the blackberries near the allotment. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their maggots find their way in.

My Ma used to soak everything in Milton solution - don't know if you can still get it? Salty water does the trick.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                    yeah but you'll never eat another berry straight from the bush will you
                    Nah, they taste so good! Still going to eat wild ones straight off the bush! Hasn't made me ill yet!
                    http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      I often find blowflies - bluebottles - bumbling about round the blackberries near the allotment. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their maggots find their way in.

My Ma used to soak everything in Milton solution - don't know if you can still get it? Salty water does the trick.
                      yup you can still get milton, and other cheaper brands are available

Comment

I spose I've go to start checking the ruddy raspberries too now

Mind you, I never get to eat them, a certain 4 year old pinches them all. He prob likes to eat bugs

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                          I spose I've go to start checking the ruddy raspberries too now

Mind you, I never get to eat them, a certain 4 year old pinches them all. He prob likes to eat bugs
                          yup, and any other similar looking bunching berry..... most 4 year olds won't notice and the protein will be good for him

Comment

I like to eat them straight off the plant, the little white maggots used to put me off as a kid but for some reason they don't bother me now

My mum used to put them in the fridge over night with the idea that the maggots come to the surface.

I guess if you're cooking for someone else they would never know, the maggots soon take on the colour of the blackberry and blend in

Comment

I once saw a maggot wiggle off after it had been in the freezer a couple of weeks!
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

im pretty sure the maggot/worm things are in the middle bit of the fruit.....when i was a kid i remember picking a wild blackberry in the back garden, when i plucked out the top i could see a maggot thing wiggling out

we've got blackberry bushes in our garden here, ive been picking them but keeping a close eye on the centres of the blackberries.......not seen a maggot yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X