hacked down grape vine, will it survive

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hacked down grape vine, will it survive

Hi all, I haven't posted for a very long time and am in need of some gardening help.

I have had my grape vine hacked down drastically, I have previously done this by mistake and it recovered.
    I am a little concerned as it was cut to the main trunk, to about 2 foot long, thick trunk. Should some shoots have been left on as there are none? Will it recover?

If anybody know I would much appreciate it

I think it will maybe recover, depending on what time of year it happened. There is always the chance that it will "bleed"to death.

Comment

It will almost certainly recover, as long as it was not cut at a time when it would bleed heavily, as said above.
      Grapes have dormant subcutaneous buds, so you don't need to worry about leaving visible buds. It will reshoot from under the bark. It will likely take at least a month before it shows any signs of growth, though.

Comment

Thank you, there may be hope yet, I had no idea about subcutaneous buds!

It was cut 10 days ago so I hope that it does not bleed too much? I am assuming the bleeding is heaviest in spring?
        I hope that it does recover.

Comment

The bleeding is heaviest in later winter and early spring. It shouldn't bleed much, if at all this time of year (you would notice if it were; it really drips out).

Comment

Thank you, it didn't bleed. All I will have to do now is stop checking it obsessively and give it some time!
            Last edited by chillithyme; 11-06-2024, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for posting this question, chillithyme. And thanks for posting the advice, GF and ameno.

I need to do a massive hack-back of a vine next year and have been worried about how ambitious I can or should not be. Great reassurance.

Comment

I have seen one that was cut back very hard and it took a good six weeks to show new growth.
                Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Thank you. Hopefully in a few weeks time I will be able to post an update on any progress with emerging buds

Comment

Update:
                    Good news, there are some buds beginning to show on the trunk, much sooner than i had expected. Panic over, I hope, just waiting for the buds to fully emerge now

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X