Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a Plum Tree

Hello.
    I know that now is not the time of year to do it - I'm thinking mid January?
    My question is do plum trees tolerate replanting?
    My tree was planted April 2021. It is variety Blue Tit. I bought it from Chris Bowers and it should have been on a Pixy Rootstock - I don't think it is. It is getting rather big rather quickly so I would like to put it in another part of the garden, where it can grow as big as it wants without causing any issues.
    Many thanks.

Plum trees tolerate replanting well enough. As well as any other fruit tree. Just be sure to get a decent root ball on it, and keep it well watered in its first summer in the new location.

Also, if you bought it from Chris Bowers then it almost certainly isn't on Pixy. To be honest, you'll be lucky if it's even Blue Tit. That company are a bunch of con artists, passing off a very narrow range of stock as a far broader selection. They claim to have all sorts of varieties on every rootstock you could want, all for very low prices. In reality, they have very few varieties, probably only on the cheapest available rootstock, and just lie about what they are.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I will start preparing the ground later this year, ready for replanting in winter.
      I have had just ONE plum off the tree in 2022 (nothing last year - looks like I will get just ONE this year). It had all the characteristics of Blue Tit, looks wise, it tasted very good. But it could just as easily been Opal or any other dark blueish plum. The lack of fruit could be down to the fact that I pruned it in summer 2022 and 2023 or maybe plums just take longer to crop compared to apples?
      Yes, I have read bad reports about Chris Bowers, unfortunately after I buying from them. I have already posted on here about the "Red Windsor" apple tree I bought from C. Bowers (at the same time as the "Blue Tit" plum tree). It became apparent about 18 months after purchase that the tree was not Red Windsor but in fact Red Delicious!
      Many thanks again.

Comment

Plums on St Julian A, which yours likely is as it's the cheapest, can take a few years to start cropping properly, yeah.
        Pruning shouldn't cause a reduction in fruiting as long as you prune it the right way. Plums fruit partly on fruiting spurs, and partly at the base of 1 year old wood. So if you prune in late summer by cutting all of the current year's growth back by 80% or so, you shouldn't see any significant reduction in fruiting, as you are only removing non-fruiting wood.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X